Honors Admissions Deferment Policy
Incoming students are able to defer enrollment after they are admitted to perform voluntary service. You may submit a one-time request to defer your Honors admission to a future semester that is up to six subsequent semesters (not including the summer semesters) after the semester you were offered Honors admission.
This deferment assumes that you:
- will remain a first-time freshman upon enrollment,
- will enroll at ISU as a first-time freshman upon return from your volunteer service, and
- will not enroll at another postsecondary institution prior to your enrollment at ISU.
Current Honors Student
If you are deferring as a current ISU Honors student to perform voluntary service, you may submit a one-time request to defer to a future semester that is up to six subsequent semesters (not including the summer semesters).
This deferment assumes that you:
- will enroll at ISU upon return from your volunteer service, and
- will not enroll at another postsecondary institution during that time.
The University Honors Program Admissions Deferment Form must be submitted to the Honors Program by August 1 before the fall semester for which you have been admitted (or will be leaving) for your service. See the table below for deadlines for additional semesters.
- The Honors deferment guarantees admission to ISU Honors Program but not necessarily admission to a particular academic major and/or program of study.
- If you are offered an Honors scholarship from the ISU Scholarship Office, the deferment will also reserve your scholarship offer until you enroll at or return to ISU. ISU guarantees the terms of the scholarship (dollar value, duration, and renewal criteria) initially awarded to you, provided that the scholarship program awarded to you is still active and funded when you return to enroll. A new acceptance form for your honors scholarship will be sent out to you automatically one semester before you plan to return. Please be sure to return the updated acceptance form.
- If the scholarship program is modified or discontinued during the deferment period, you will be evaluated for scholarship consideration based on the criteria of the new scholarship program.
- Deferral of scholarships awarded by other departments, agencies or organizations will need to be addressed directly with the appropriate department, agency or organization.
- If you are awarded financial aid and plan to defer your enrollment, you must cancel your financial aid with ISU Financial Aid by calling (208) 282-2756 or emailing email@example.com. You will need to reapply for financial aid for the semester in which you plan to enroll and meet the appropriate deadlines at that time.
It is your responsibility to:
- submit the University Honors Program Admissions Deferment Form to the University Honors Program by the appropriate deadline,
- update the Honors Program on any change of address or contact information prior to your volunteer departure,
- adhere to ISU's Admission Deferment Policy in addition to the Honors Admission Deferment Policy, and
- return the required acceptance forms to the Scholarship Office the semester before returning to ISU.
If you decide to pursue volunteer service after starting your enrollment at ISU and plan to return to ISU, you must work with your academic advisor and the staff in Financial Aid and/or Scholarships regarding the impact on your future enrollment.
This "Honors Admissions Deferment Request" is available for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International student applicants should contact the International Programs Office.
Semesters, Deferment, and Deadlines:
|Session admitted:||Can defer admission until:||Deadline for ISU to receive Admissions Deferment Request form:|
|Fall 2021||Fall 2024||8/1/2021|
|Fall 2022||Fall 2025||8/1/2022|