facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

General Information

What are the differences between the Early College Program (ECP) and other alternative credit opportunities, such as AP, CLEP, and IB?

Idaho State University's Early College Program offers classes to high school students for both high school and college credit also referred to as dual credit courses. Students participating in dual credit course receive college credit for specific courses offered at their high school. Students may also take classes on an ISU campus. Dual credit provides the student with an Idaho State University transcript with a letter grade for the course based on work completed during the duration of the class. Students can request that their transcript be sent to the college or university of their choice. It is recommended that students contact the college/university of their choice to discuss transferability.

For additional information on dual credit, AP, CLEP and other alternative credit opportunities please see the course catalog for Alternative Credit Opportunities

Are foreign exchange students eligible for ECP courses?

Students attending courses with a J-1 Visa are ineligible for higher education credit. Please contact the Early College Program with question son other visa types.

Are home school students eligible for ECP courses?   

Home School students who are at least 16-years old and have not yet completed all of their high school requirements can take courses on an ISU campus, and qualify for the ECP on-campus rate. For more information, please contact our office.    

Can I enroll in a Dual Credit course and also take the AP test exam?

Yes. Once the course is completed, students are to request that their ISU transcript be sent to whatever school or schools they are interested in attending (other than ISU). The ISU course will already be on your ISU transcript if you attend here.

The student who chooses to take the AP exam as well should have their scores sent to those same schools for review. Coursework with letter grades takes precedence over passing AP scores for the same course. You do not end up with double the credit hours: If your U.S. history course is worth 3 credits and you earn a 3 on an AP exam (also worth 3 credits), the total posted is three credit hours. If your AP score is higher than the minimum, you may possibly earn additional credit hours. Different institutions of higher education may have differing policies about minimum scores required, etc.  

Do any ECP courses complete General Education Requirements or Objectives?

Most courses offered on high school campuses satisfy ISU General Education Objectives. Objective courses are marked with an asterisk (*) in the Participating Schools list. For a full list please see General Education Requirements 2022-2023 or Central Academic Advising.

What is ISU's accreditation information?

Idaho State University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The University is also accredited or approved for specific programs by a number of organizations. Please refer to the current catalog for a list of the various commissions and associations.

What is the Early College Program’s accreditation information?

The Early College Program is accredited by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP). As the sole accrediting body for concurrent enrollment partnerships, NACEP works to ensure that college courses offered by high school teachers are as rigorous as courses offered on the sponsoring college campus.  NACEP helps these programs adhere to the highest standards so students experience a seamless transition to college and teachers benefit from meaningful, ongoing professional development.

How do I forward my ISU email to my personal email?

For information on how to forward ISU email to another email account, visit Tiger Tracks Forwarding your ISU E-mail webpage.


Registration Information

What is my status at ISU when I register for dual credit?

Early  College Program students are admitted to the university as non-degree seeking students when taking dual credit courses in the high school.

Is my student information private?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) grants privacy rights to any student enrolled in a college-level course even if they are under eighteen years old. Please refer to our Registrar's FERPA website for additional information.   

What about Grades?

Students who register for dual credit courses receive both high school and college credit for each course. The instructor will complete grades for the high school and college transcripts. The ISU grading system consist of the following options: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F. Other options are I (Incomplete) which converts automatically to an F after one year if a grade change is not submitted, W (Withdrawal), and X (Stopped Attending) which is equivalent to an F. Students can view their grades in my.isu.edu. Any questions about final grades should be discussed with your instructor as soon as possible. Due to departmental grading scale guidelines, your high school and college grade for a course may be different.

What is meant by a credit hour?

Colleges and universities measure academic work by the credit hour. Credits are also referred to as semester credits or semester hours. One credit is defined to require fifty minutes in a class weekly for one semester. Credits for college courses will range from one to five hours. Your college education will include a certain number of general education (objective, goal, core, etc) credit hours, major credit hours, and electives. At ISU, bachelor degree plans require a minimum 120 credit hours. ISU offers mainly general education (objective courses) along with limited elective credits for dual credit in the high school.

Am I eligible for federal financial grants or loans as an Early College student?

Dual credit students do not qualify for financial aid because the federal government requires students to have received a high school diploma or its equivalent to be eligible for federal grants or loans.

Can I get a loan to pay for my College Credits?

If a student’s tuition bill is not covered by Fast Forward funds and exceeds $300 for a term, they may request payment on an Installment Plan. This option is available only for the term in which a student is currently enrolled, and only if all outstanding fees from previous terms have been paid. There is a $30 enrollment fee, and a 25% down payment is required when they sign up. The plan allows students to pay their bill in 3 or 4 payments (depending how early they enroll). The entire bill must be paid by November 1st for the fall semester and April 1st for the spring semester.   

May I register late?

No, students must register by the appropriate deadline for their courses.

What if I change my mind after registering for Dual Credit Courses?

Students who register for a class and decide not to take it for ISU credit, will need to login to my.isu.edu and either drop or withdrawal from the course by the appropriate deadline (please see course syllabus). If the course is not dropped by the deadline, the student is obligated to pay the course tuition to the university.  Deadlines are strictly enforced and high school and college registrations are separate.

NOTE: If the students fails to drop or withdraw through MyISU they will remain registered at the university for the course.  Should they not complete the course, a failing grade will be posted to their permanent college transcript.

What if I am unable to finish a class?

If a student is not able to finish a dual credit class they need to withdraw from an ECP course. They MUST login to my.isu.edu and withdraw from the class by the appropriate deadline (see course syllabus). They will be dropped from the course and a "W" (withdrawal) will be posted to their ISU transcript which does not count toward your GPA. There is no tuition refund for withdrawn courses.

What if I transfer out of my high school class?

If a student transfers out of a high school class where they have registered for college credit, they need to also withdraw from the ISU section.  it is not automatic. Students MUST login to my.isu.edu and withdraw from the class by the appropriate deadline (see course syllabus). If the withdrawal deadline has passed, the only option is to submit a petition for a late withdrawal. Please contact the Early College Program office for a petition. We cannot guarantee that a late withdrawal petition will be approved by the Department Chair and Dean. Having earned a low grade to date is not a justifiable reason for having a late withdrawal petition approved. Reminder: Withdrawals and low grades may impact your eligibility for financial aid when you enter college full-time.

If I am taking dual credit through another college or university or taking an AP class at a high school not served by ISU and I move to a high school served by Idaho State, can I register late and earn credit for the course?

No, a student cannot transfer from a non-ISU dual credit course to an ISU dual credit course during the same term. Too many differences in a course syllabus are bound to exist. If a student starts in an AP course and transfers to a dual credit course offered through ISU and tied to an AP course, the student will need to plan on taking the AP exam rather than switching from the AP option to dual credit.

Can I get a refund?

No refunds are given for reduced-fee registration.


After High School Graduation

If I want to attend ISU after high school, what do I need to do?

Students wanting to continue at ISU after high school will need to submit an undergraduate application, application fee, official high school transcript, and ACT or SAT scores to the ISU Office of Admissions. Applications can be submitted online at apply.isu.edu . In order to be considered for freshmen academic scholarships students need to submit all information by FEBRUARY 15 of their senior year. For additional information please contact the Admissions Office at 208-282-2475.

How do I arrange a campus tour?

We invite prospective students to visit the campus and have a student ambassador show you around, meet with faculty, and participate in other activities. Please call The Admissions Visitors Center at (208) 282-2123 or submit a request at https://www.isu.edu/visit/    

Will dual credits earned be accepted at other colleges and universities?

Credits are transferable to Idaho colleges and universities and most other institutions outside the state. A limited number of institutions do not accept college credits earned on a high school campus or classes taken for both high school and college credit. Students are responsible for checking with an admissions counselor at a college where they plan to enroll after high school to see if their dual credits will be accepted. We recommend that you retain the syllabus for the course, include the course description (available on the web site at www.isu.edu) and save major class assignments if you have to meet with someone at your intended college or university concerning their decision.       

How do I obtain transcripts to send to another college or university?

Students may request an official transcript through BengalWeb or through the National Student Clearinghouse.  Official transcript request and fee information can be found at transcripts.isu.edu  Student can also log into BengalWeb and print an unofficial Academic Transcript. Once a student registers for a college class, it is a requirement that their transcript be sent to any potential college destinations, even if the only grade is a withdrawal. Note: Transcripts will not be sent until all past-due financial obligations at Idaho State University have been paid.

If my post-secondary attendance is interrupted, can I defer my scholarships until I can return?

  1. Scholarships can be deferred for medical reasons, military deployment, church service, or other extenuating circumstances. Please contact your university or college for more information about their deferment policy.  If you are planning to attend ISU's please see their deferment policy.