About ISU Geology Field Camp
Field Camp will be held May 28 to July 1, 2019
The ISU Department of Geosciences offers a five-week, 6-credit capstone course in field geology every summer.
Throughout the course, emphasis is placed on developing an individuals ability to observe, record, and interpret field relationships. Students then prepare several complete geologic reports including digital data and maps. Students come from across the United States and their diverse backgrounds contribute to the learning experience.
Our field camp features a low student/faculty ratio with high standards. Exercises involve detailed rock descriptions and geologic mapping using air photos, topographic maps, GPS and remote sensing computer applications.
Be ready to "jump in with both feet" to an intensive 16 hour-a-day, 6 days-a-week group learning experience. Completed assignments are due several nights a week, with a culminating final map project due at the end of each field area.
Since the country is scenic and steep with rugged mountains the most important prerequisite is for you to be in robust physical condition, and be willing to push yourself in a cooperative group learning environment.
Those applying need to be a junior or senior Geoscience Major. Specific course prerequisites are somewhat flexible, but Structural Geology and Sedimentary Geology are required with a minimum grade of "C" or better.
Review of applications begins as soon as they are received. Deadline for early admittance is February 19. Qualified students will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until camp is filled. Once you are accepted, and have confirmed that you are coming, a packet of information and forms will be sent to you in preparation for field camp. Please read the instructions and fill out forms ahead of time. The balance of the field camp fees should be paid by May.
For any questions please contact David Pearson [firstname.lastname@example.org] or Lori Tapanila [email@example.com].
Scholarship Opportunities for Field Camp
- NAGT Scholarships for Field Study - https://nagt.org/nagt/students/field_scholarships.html
- GSA/ExxonMobil Field Camp Scholar Award - https://rock.geosociety.org/eo/moreInformation.asp?program=scholar
- AIPG National Undergraduate Scholarship - http://aipg.org/undergraduates
- AEG foundation: Beardsley-Kuper Field Camp Scholarship Fund and others that are location specific - https://www.aegfoundation.org/funds/
- SEG Field Camps - https://seg.org/fieldcamps
- AAPG Foundation - http://foundation.aapg.org/students/undergraduate/weeks.cfm
Pocatello, ID 83209-8072