Idaho LAUNCH grants provide graduating high school seniors with an opportunity to have up to 80% of their tuition and fees covered, up to $8,000, for programs leading to in-demand careers, including Earth and Environmental Systems. Additionally, students who receive Idaho LAUNCH grants have the option to combine them with other scholarships offered by Idaho State University.
Department of Geosciences
We take advantage of our location in the Northern Rockies and offer students affordable tuition and cost of living. Our courses include hands-on learning, field exercises, laboratory experience, and the latest geotechnologies. It is our mission to train students for professional positions or further study. Our programs have a strong record of student career placement in government, industry, and education. Our professors have helped write the book and map for Idaho Geology. We are proud to host a nationally recognized summer field camp at Lost River Field Station, north of Mackay, Idaho. Discover what ISU Geosciences has to offer.
Not only do we claim a strong field-based program, we have a legacy of national awards to prove it!
- In 2022, ISU MS alum, Kathleen "Kat" Autenrieth (at Kinross Gold) was recognized as one of the top 100 inspirational Women In Mining
- In 2022, ISU PhD-Geosciences student Tyler Paladino received the prestigious USGS Mendenhall Research Fellowship.
- In 2020, ISU PhD-Geosciences student Stuart Parker won Best Student Geologic Map at the Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America. He is now a staff geologist with the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology.
- In 2019, ISU MS Geology student Dan Brennan won Best Student Map for his work in Custer County, Idaho. He is now a staff geologist with the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology.
- In 2016, Dr. Ryan Anderson, ISU Assistant Professor and Field Camp Director won Best Student Map for his WSU PhD work in Bolivia.
- In 2013, ISU MS Geology student Robert Mahon won Best Student Map for his work in Death Valley, CA.
Do you like Podcasts? Considering a career in the Geosciences? Take a listen to "Pathways: A Career Podcast from the Idaho State University Career Center"
Additional Support for Geology Students
- ISU's Content Area Tutoring supports GEOL 1100 students: https://www.isu.edu/tutoring/
- Undergraduate - EES: Sarah Godsey (email@example.com), Geology: Kendra Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Graduate - Geology/PhD: Dave Pearson (email@example.com), Geotechnologies/GIS: Carrie Bottenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please reach out to your Professors with course-specific questions
- Please reach out to your advisor (see above) with degree or advising questions
- For any other questions, reach out to Department Chair, Glenn Thackray (email@example.com)
Semester Office Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8am- 5pm.