General Lab Maintenance
All lab courses
- Wipe down benches, microscopes, and any other lab equipment on the student benches
- Organize equipment and supplies at their station
- Tuck in chairs
- Last lab of the week: put up chairs, seat down
- Check the supply of lab materials, prepare, and refill low materials before the next lab
- Contact the stockroom when quantity is critically low
- No slides or specimens on stages
- All compound microscopes (student and instructor) are turned off and covered.
- All stereoscopes turned off
- Instructor microscope camera turned off
- Instructor and sink benches:
- Refill the paper towel dispensers
- Prepare dirty glassware for the stockroom
- Place waste materials in the appropriate waste container
- Student Stations:
- Trays are organized/tidy/clean
- Correct equipment is at each station
- Projector and lab lights are turned off
- Put all plates back in the terrarium
- Place lids and light on the terrariums
- Cover with bubble wrap, foil side down
Station trays are organized/tidy, sitting at the correct student station on the metal bench riser:
- Prepared slide specimens in slide sleeves.
- Colored pencils in green container.
- Slides, cover-slips, lens paper, lens cleaner, forceps, organized in weigh-boat.
- Wash bottle are on the tray and accounted for.
- Wash & DRY the dissecting trays, pins, probes, scissors, scalpels, etc.
- Clean & organize the benches.
- Check that all student station trays and dissection supplies are organized and clean. If the stations are not clean you are required to clean up.
- Prepare dissection animals for disposal (see below).
- Turn off AVer Document camera and the portable fume extractor.
Preserved Animal Disposal Preparation:
- Line a 5 gallon screw top lid bucket with the black bags available.
- Have the students place their dissected animals in the lined bucket.
- Once all the animals are in the lined bucket, weigh the bag. If it is more than 20 lbs, split the contents into the second lined bucket.
- Seal the bag(s) shut by tying or taping.
- Now place the bag of animals in a second/third bag to reduce the chances of leaks and tie or tape that bag shut.
- Remove the bags from the bucket and label:
- Course and Lab section #
- Your last name
- Weight in pounds, not to exceed 20 lbs
- Animal type (invertebrate or vertebrate)