Faculty and Advisor Toolkit
Information and resources for academic advisors.
The Disability Services office at ISU provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
- Bengal Card Services
- Career Center
- Counseling and Testing Service
- Financial Aid
- Military Ed Benefits
- Public Safety - Parking
- Registration and Records
- Student Financial Services
General Education Requirements
A Catalog Year is the official means used to determine graduation requirements, including a student's general education requirements. The academic year a student matriculates into ISU is the default Catalog Year that establishes their academic record. Catalog requirements may change from one catalog year to another.
Be aware a student's catalog year may be changed:
- At the request of the student who, in consultation with an advisor, determines an advantage for using a later catalog
- When a department formally approves a student's curriculum (major) change request
- When a student has an enrollment gap of eight or more semesters (including summers)
2021-2022 Catalog Year
2020-2021 Catalog Year
2019-2020 Catalog Year
2018-2019 Catalog Year
2017-2018 Catalog Year
2016-2017 Catalog Year
2015-2016 Catalog Year
2014-2015 Catalog Year
2013-2014 Catalog Year
- 2012-2013 General Education Requirements (PDF)
- 2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog
- 2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog
- 2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog
- 2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog
- 2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog
Declaring or Changing a Major and/or Minor
Formally declaring a major connects a student with program advising. Major and primary advisors help students navigate program requirements for each semester through graduation.
Students may determine that their current major is failing to meet expectations. Encourage students to explore available majors and commit time to successfully finding a new major that is more in line with their strengths and interests. They should then schedule a meeting with their primary advisor or the department of interest to discuss related career opportunities and reviewing the academic requirements based on an agreed-upon catalog year.
Requesting an Advisor Role
The process to request the Advisor Role using the Tiger Tracks system is as follows:
- In the Home tab of BengalWeb is a TigerTracks channel. Click Access TigerTracks from that channel
- In the left menu of TigerTracks, click Request Access
- Click the Accounts and Access menu, then the Employee Services submenu
- Click on Employee Account, Request or Renew
- Once you have read that website, click Request Access
- Identify for whom you are requesting access and select Banner/Argo access
- A box will open for you to request the Advisor Role for that person as well as all associated access for that position
Advisor Assignment Request
Advisor Change Only (not Major, Minor, or Catalog Year change) is required to update the student record.
Office of Academic Advising assigns advisors to students who show the appropriate major and minor in their Degree Works and/or BengalWeb General Student Information - when departments send an "advisor assignment request" to the OAA email@example.com email address.
Assignment Request Process
- Appropriate departmental personnel send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an advisor (or multiple advisors) to be assigned to a student (or multiple students).
- Individual faculty or staff may contact a OAA professional advisor, or call (208) 282-3277 to request immediate advisor access for individual students.
- For multiple assignments - Departments may attach a spreadsheet of students and identify which advisor(s) to assign to each student on the list. The following items must be included with each request:
- Effective Term (e.g. Spring 2016 or 201620)
- Student Name (e.g. Samuel George Smith)
- Student ID number (ISU ID number)
- Advisor Name (e.g. Samantha W Smith)
- Advisor ID number (ISU ID number)
- Advisor Type and if Primary Status (e.g. AUX, DEPT, or MAJR and whether Primary)
A Primary Advisor is a student's Professional advisor in their major. The student's advisor will appear on BengalWeb in the Student Records channel and also in Degree Works. Only one advisor can be primary.
A Major advisor is a student's Faculty advisor for their major. The student's major advisor will appear on BengalWeb in the Student Records channel and also in Degree Works. Multiple major advisors can be identified to assist a student.
Advisor Type Categories
- CAA = Office of Academic Advising; assigned as default primary advisor to all new undergraduate students who have not yet applied to their department for a faculty advisor to serve as their major or minor advisor. CAA is also primary advisor for all Undecided Arts and Letters and Pre-Social Work students.
- MAJR = Advisor in Major; a faculty member advising the student in his major field of study.
- MINR = Minor Advisor; a faculty member advising the student in his/her minor field of study.
- DEPT = Professional Advisor; a non-faculty, staff advisor whose primary duty is advising pre-program majors in a college.
- AUX = Auxiliary Advisor; administrative staff who need access to student records primarily for administrative purposes and who assists MAJR/MINR/DEPT advisors with advising duties.
- ATHL = Athletics Advisor; professional advisor in the Athletics Department.
- TRIO = TRIO Student Services advisor; advised students in the TRiO program only.
- INT = International Programs Office Advisor; assists student with immigration-related issues only.
- HONR = Honors Program Advisor; advises Honors Program students only.