facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions page banner

Who is my advisor?

  • Find your current advisor by logging into MyISU, selecting the Academic Tools Tab, selecting the Registration Tools channel, and clicking on "My Registration and Schedule Information (My Profile). The current major, class level, and assigned advisor are displayed. If either the major or advisor listed is incorrect, contact the department with the major program you want.
  • Log in to Degree Works to see your current academic advisor and their phone number.
  • Department and Faculty Advisor contact information is found in the ISU Directory. Either call or email them using appropriate communication etiquette.
  • Students may also visit the department website or contact the main office of the major department to find office hours and determine the best way to connect with an advisor.
  • Students who are in the process of deciding a major should contact Office of Academic Advising.

What is a Degree Works - degree audit?

  • Degree Works is a web-based degree audit tool designed to assist students and their advisors in navigating ISU curriculum requirements.

What are course learning outcomes?

  • Course Learning Outcomes are measurable statements that are used to identify the specific knowledge and skills that a student should have at the end of a course.

What is important to know when taking online classes?

  • Online courses have their own unique set of challenges. Students planning to register for one or more online courses should review the online student basics. Be aware online courses have additional fees.

How do I find out what my current major is?

  • To find your major, log on to MyISU
    • Go to Academic Tools;
    • select Registration Tools;
    • click on My Registration and Schedule Information (My Profile);
    • your current Major and Catalog Term are listed under “Curriculum, Hours & GPA."

    To change your major - follow the guidelines noted for Declaring/Changing Major-Minor.

  • Students can have more than one major.

Can I add a minor after I have declared a major?

  • Students should carefully consider minor requirements in consultation with a Faculty/Department advisor in the minor and/or major department.

    Minors require a minimum of 18 credits. A minor is added using the Change Major Request (CMR) process which is initiated by you as the student with support of your faculty of primary advisor.

    Students can have more than one minor.

What should I consider if I'm thinking about withdrawing from a class?

  • The decision to withdraw from a class should be the last option and only be considered after all other options have been exhausted. Withdrawing from even one class will likely extend the time it takes to graduate and can incur extra expenses. Students should talk with their instructor first. New and unfamiliar material can feel overwhelming to anyone. Instructors can help students assess whether or not they really are in over their head.
    • Consider utilizing tutoring support or other services provided through the Student Success Center.
    • Meet with an advisor in Office of Academic Advising to discuss options.
    • Know the deadlines for dropping or withdrawing from classes.
    • A "W" counts as attempted credit for Financial Aid and contributes to a declining completion rate.

How does a course that is repeated affect my GPA?

  • A student may elect to repeat a course if the grade earned does not meet the major department or graduation requirement. The official course repeat policy is found in the undergraduate catalog on the course policies page.

How can I calculate and improve my GPA?

Does ISU have an Honors degree?

  • Yes, the ISU Honors Program offers two options: a Honors Distinction or an Honors Degree.

How do I get a reasonable accommodation for a learning, medical, or physical disability?

  • Students can request accommodation services through the office of Disability Services.

When can I register for classes?

  • A student's class level determines the first day they may register for classes in any given semester.

Where can I find out if I am cleared to register for classes?

  • Login to MyISU, search for My Student Profile then open the My Student Profile link. In the upper right corner of your profile click on the Registration Notices and Holds menus to verify you are cleared to register. If you have a hold or an uncleared registration notice:
    • Check for Holds (e.g. advising, financial, student affairs, athletic, etc).  Go to the Student Records Channel and select View Holds.
    • Check Academic Standing. The possibilities are: Good Standing (18 credit maximum), Academic Warning, Academic Probation, and Academic Dismissal (no registration allowed).
    • Check student status.  If a student status does not permit registration, email admissions at admiss@isu.edu or call (208) 282-2475.
    • Check class level for registration purposes.  A student's class level (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, senior) determines the first day they may register for classes.

Are there instructions on how to register for classes?

Can I register after the registration deadline has passed?

Can I register for more than 18 credits?

  • Undergraduate students are allowed to register for up to 18 credits per semester. If a student wishes to register for more than 18 credits in a semester, they must request an override from the College Dean of their major.

    Students should carefully examine their course load, work schedule, extracurricular activities, and other time commitments before considering a credit override.

    For each hour in class, students should plan for 2-3 hours of study/homework activities to stay on track.

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a class?

  • Consult an advisor to discuss your particular situation.  

    Dropping courses is available only for a brief period at the beginning of an academic period based on the dates in the Academic Calendar.  See the ISU Refund Policy to determine if you would be eligible for a refund. Dropped course(s) do not affect the GPA and will not appear on a student's transcript but may affect financial aid, scholarships, military, and other benefits.

    Withdrawing from courses is available after the drop period for a limited time based on the Academic Calendar. See the ISU Refund Policy to determine if you would be eligible for a refund.  Withdrawing from course(s) results in a grade of W that will appear on the student's transcript and may affect financial aid, scholarships, military, and other benefits.


I am going to be registering for the Biology Lecture and Labs, what do I need to know?

What is Academic Standing?

  • Undergraduate Students are in Good Academic Standing when they maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Academic Standing is calculated at the end of each semester. If a student falls below a 2.0 GPA they will be subject to academic probation.

Can I be re-admitted after academic dismissal?

Can I petition a university standard?

What is academic renewal?

  • Academic Renewal allows for all courses and grades in selected and consecutive semesters to be disregarded in credits earned and in the computation of a student's ISU GPA. Please review the Academic Renewal Policy.

What can I do if I get an "F" in a class I thought I had dropped?

Can I attend another college while registered at ISU?

  • Yes. Students taking courses elsewhere are responsible for providing an official transcript of the courses to transfer to ISU from the other college. Students should check with the Office of the Registrar to verify ISU will accept their transfer courses in the manner they wish them to be transferred (general education, department requirement, prerequisite). Check with the articulation guide or the specific academic department to verify how courses will transfer in an ISU degree plan.

Does ISU provide opportunities to study at other universities?

Can I take a semester or two off and return to ISU?

  • Yes. Students planning to return the next semester, simply register for classes according to their class level. Students remain admitted for 8 semesters (including summers).

    If a student was admitted and enrolled at ISU previously but they have not enrolled in classes for the for the past eight semesters (including summer), they will need to re-apply to ISU before they can register for classes. Students should notify their academic advisor if they plan to take time off. If they are receiving financial aid, they should be sure to discuss the implications with a financial aid counselor.

    Information on the different application processes and requirements is available in the Undergraduate Catalog.