ISU offers 250+ Academic Programs
Degree Programs include Majors, Minors, and Certificates.
Successful students spend time exploring programs that reflect their strengths, special interests, goals, and aspirations.
Declare a Major by Your Sophomore Year
A primary major advisor is assigned when a major is declared. Students are then connected with program communications and relevant major opportunities.
Students formally declare a major by contacting the major department and initiating a Curriculum Change Request (CCR).
Information and Admission requirements.
Selecting a Major
Students may need time to select a major that best fits their academic goals.
Students may also change their minds about their major as they transition into college and declare a new major before graduating. Taking the necessary time with information-gathering and decision-making processes before formally declaring a major is time well spent.
Undecided about a Major
Undecided students should take a variety of courses that seem interesting to them. There are many options that satisfy General Education Requirements that help when the time comes to choose a suitable major.
To honestly evaluate options students should take time for:
- Introspection: What do you value, what are you good at, what do you dislike, what is challenging?
- Exploration: Explore values, strengths, skills, dislikes, likes, and challenges.
- Obtain information about educational programs, majors, and academic skills necessary for success.
- Review the ISU undergraduate catalog to determine major requirements for graduation and program admission if applicable. Read the course descriptions.
- Visit the ISU Career Center to investigate employment opportunities, and assess interests, values, and abilities in relation to majors and occupations with a professional career counselor.
- Comprehension: Take an introductory course, interview faculty in the discipline, discuss the major with upperclassmen, spend time with someone employed in the field, imagine yourself working in that field.
- Execution: Based on research, filtered through an internal frame of reference and realistic evaluation, declare a major.
Visit the ISU Career Center. Career Counselors are available to meet with students to discuss individual professional goals and questions. Make an appointment - call (208) 282-2380 in Pocatello.
- Explore - "What Can I do with this Major?";
- Try the FOCUS - 2 self paced career guidance tool;
- Take the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type indicator assessments to get answers to questions about strengths and how they correlate to possible careers.
The Center for New Directions in the College of Technology can assist students in transition to overcome personal and economic barriers to education and employment. They also offer career counseling free of charge.
The following competitive majors require a formal admittance process.
Students will be in a pre-major status until they have met the requirements to be officially admitted to the major:
- Radiographic Science
- Health Care Administration
- Health Education
- Dental Hygiene
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Social Work
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
Review the Health Related Admissions Profile for competitive admissions information in past years.
Please Note: These are Competitive majors with a limited number of slots each year. Achieving the minimum GPA required for acceptance does not guarantee acceptance into the major.
Declaring or Changing a Major and/or Minor
Formally declaring a major solidifies the educational plan (MAP) a student will follow with course requirements for each semester until graduation. The following steps are required to declare a major:
- Contact the Major-Minor Department and schedule a meeting to discuss the requirements, options, and catalog year considerations for the desired major or minor.
- Once the selection is finalized, the department advisor will complete and submit a Curriculum Change Request (CCR) form.
- An ISU email will be sent to students with instructions on how to complete the CCR process for declaring their major/minor.
- Students login to Bengal Web, go to the student Records Channel, and click on the Approve/Deny Curriculum Change Request.
- The Curriculum Change Request link should be selected. When the Student Curriculum Change Request Approval window opens review the accuracy of the information. When satisfied click on either the Approve or Deny button and then click - Submit Change Request.
- If Approve Request is submitted, the curriculum change will be initiated and an ISU email will be sent when the major change is completed.
- If Deny is submitted, no changes to the current major will be made and no email will be sent.
- No further action is required in either case.
Students may determine that their current major is failing to meet expectations. If this is the case, they should explore available majors and commit time to successfully find a new major that is more in line with their strengths and interests. Once a new major is chosen, students will follow these CCR guidelines to declare a new Major.