Chemical & Research Safety Overview
The ISU Chemical & Research Safety Program is comprised of multiple components.
- Campus Safety Plans include the Chemical Hygiene Plan (for laboratories) and the Hazard Communication Plan (for other areas).
- Lab Specific Safety Plans are developed and maintained by Primary Investigators and Lab Managers.
- An inventory of hazardous chemicals on campus is maintained in CampusOptics.
- Hazardous materials door signage is generated by CampusOptics.
- Chemical specific safety information is available from manufacturers in the form of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and can be found through CampusOptics.
- Safe chemical handling requirements for select chemicals are documented on Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Chemical Safety Training is provided by the EHSS Department.
- Laboratory Safety Consultations are conducted by the EHSS Department.
- Disposal of regulated waste materials is managed by the EHSS Department.
- IACUC Risk Assessements for animal research are evaluated and approved by the EHSS Department.
Contact the EHSS at 208-282-2310 if you have questions concerning the Chemical & Research Safety Program.