New and Accepted Students
You are a new or accepted student if you have...
- been admitted to Idaho State University and have received your I-20 or DS-2019.
- recently arrived to Pocatello or ISU.
If you have not yet been admitted, please see our prospective students page.
Welcome to Idaho State University!
We are excited to have you on campus. Please review the information below to ensure a successful start to your time at ISU. If you need additional assistance or have any questions, please contact us at (208) 282-4320.
We encourage on-campus housing, particularly for your first year. For details on ISU's on-campus housing options, go to the ISU Housing page.
There are many off-campus housing options around and close to the ISU campus, including student complexes and privately owned rental properties. The following resources may be helpful in finding off-campus units:
- Off-campus Housing Guide
- Online Rental Listing (BengalDens)
- ApartmentList.com (Pocatello Listing)
- Trulia.com (Pocatello Listing)
- Zumper.com (Pocatello Listing)
- Zillow.com (Pocatello Listing)
- hotpads.com (Pocatello Listing)
- Google Search for "student housing Pocatello"
- Talk to friends from school already in off-campus housing. They may be your best resource.
- Check the bulletin boards around campus
- Check the Idaho State Journal classified ads. The ISJ is available free of charge in the Student Union and Rendezvous Center. Ask the person at the Information Desk where to find it. You can also find classified ads at www.journalnet.com.
- Walk the university neighborhood and look for signs saying "For Rent".
The cost of a shared apartment begins at about $250, not including cost of utilities. Living off-campus alone could cost much more ($500-$1000 per month). Always be sure to read carefully the stipulations of the contract that comes with renting an apartment.
Other Helpful Information
Health Insurance Information
While Idaho State University does not require you to have health insurance, we strongly encourage you to have it. U.S. medical costs are very high and can be financially devastating if you have a medical emergency. Following are just a few insurance companies that provide insurance plans specifically for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars:
- ISO Insurance (for ISU students)
- Visit International Health Insurance
- Compass Student Insurance
- International Student Insurance
Understanding the U.S. Healthcare System
The following resources will help you better understand and navigate the U.S. healthcare system.