Funding Your Study Abroad
Financial planning should begin as soon as you embark on your research of abroad locations and programs, and the funds/grants/loans you anticipate receiving should be carefully factored in.
Read the program costs to determine what is included in the program fee. Be sure to add the cost of international airfare and any additional travel and meals (if you plan to travel during your program). Most students underestimate the costs of souvenirs and travel.
Financial Aid for Study Abroad
Some forms of financial aid can be used for study abroad opportunities. For more information, contact the ISU Financial Aid Office.
Important note about federal financial aid: All students must be enrolled for, and complete, a minimum of 12 credits while studying abroad, especially if they are receiving federal financial aid.
If you fail to complete at least 12 credits while you are studying abroad, you may be asked to return the federal aid received. If ISU is not reimbursed, you will be billed for these monies.
Scholarships for Study Abroad
There are many scholarships available to study abroad students. The deadlines are often very early so plan ahead!
- Benjamin A. Gilman Award (any major, any country, must be receiving a Pell Grant to be eligible)
- Boren Awards David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship Program. Campus deadline - January 15
- DAAD (for study in Germany)
- Institute of International Education (has a number of resources for students)
- ISU Department of Global Studies & Languages
- Phi Kappa Phi (all countries )
- Rotary Scholarship
- TUSA Scholarship
Helpful Links for Funding Your Study Abroad Experience
- http://www.studyabroadfunding.org -- scholarships for all countries available
- http://www.fulbright.org/--various countries
- http://www.rotary.org/--various countries
- https://www.macfound.org/ -- The John and Catherine MacArthur Foundation
- http://www.nsf.gov -- National Science Foundation
- http://www.iie.org/nsep -- awards to study in unusual countries (no Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand.)
- https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/scholarships-funding --United Kingdom
- http://www.amscan.org The American Scandinavian Foundation—Scandinavia
- http://www.isep.org/students/Programs/financial_aid_scholarships.asp ISEP Scholarships (for ISEP students only)