facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

J-1 Visa for Visiting Scholars

Idaho State University hosts international scholars and professors from around the world.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa may be used by those coming to the United States to study, teach, conduct research, or receive training.

The Exchange Visitor Program aims to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences and encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries.

It does not require a one-to-one reciprocal exchange.

Obtaining a J-1 Visa

The J-1 visa is obtained by presenting to a U.S. embassy or consulate a Form DS-2019 issued by the Exchange Visitor sponsor, a university, a government agency, or other organizations. For example, the Fulbright Commission publishes Forms DS-2019 for its grantees.

Please review the 24-Month Bar, the 12-Month Bar, and the 2-Year Home Residency Requirement information.

Short-Term Scholar Category

Length of Stay: J-1 short-term scholars engaged in research and teaching may remain in the United States for up to six months. No extensions are permitted beyond six months.

Short-term scholars do not always have a formal affiliation with the University. Access to University facilities may be limited.

Check with the hosting department for details.

Employment: Paid employment for J-1 short-term scholars is permitted only if described on Form DS-2019 issued to the Exchange Visitor.

Research Scholar/Professor Category

Length of Stay: J-1 visa holders in the Research Scholar or Professor category may remain in the United States for up to five years on an Exchange Visitor visa.

There are some restrictions to this category.

Individuals who have been in the United States as J-1 Exchange Visitors in any category for more than six months are not eligible for the Research Scholar or Professor category unless they have been outside the United States for the previous 12 months.

Research scholars and professors who complete their J-1 programs and leave the United States are not eligible to return as J-1 research scholars or professors for 24 months.

Employment: Paid employment for J-1 research scholars or professors is permitted only if it is an integral part of the program as described on Form DS-2019 issued to the Exchange Visitor.

In most cases, a J-1 visa holder can't accept paid employment outside of Idaho State University. However, there are occasional exceptions.

Please consult the International Programs Office for more information regarding the possibility of employment outside of Idaho State University.

The maximum length of the program for J-1 exchange visitors in the Research Scholar and Professor category has been increased from three to five years.

Request Process

If you are an international scholar seeking an appointment at ISU, first contact the academic department of your field.

ISU academic departments are involved in the invitation of each visiting scholar.

This means that the scholar and the department must have a mutual interest in collaborating in research or teaching areas. Prospective scholars may wish to contact a specific department at ISU to describe their research interests and whether or not there may be a mutual interest in collaboration.

Once it has agreed to host you, the ISU department will work with the International Programs Office to provide you with the necessary documentation for your visa application.


ISU Departments: Departments seeking to invite an international scholar should download and complete the J-1 Scholar Exchange Visitor Department Request Form.

Prospective Scholars: After a mutual interest in collaboration has been established. Please download the J-1-Exchange-Visitor-DS-2019-Application, complete it, and submit it to the International Programs Office.

Once the ISU Department completes the necessary paperwork, the International Programs Office will apply for and send you the DS-2019 form. You will use this form to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate in your home country or country of residence.

Arrival & Check-In

Scholars may enter the United States up to 30 days before the start date on their DS-2019 forms.

Upon arrival in the U.S., you must check in with immigration in the International Programs Office.

Please bring your passport, I-94 card, DS-2019 form, and proof of health insurance for yourself and any J-2 family members.

Please contact the International Programs Office J-1 Scholar Advisor, Abdul Khalil Azizi, at 208-282-5460 or khalilazizi@isu.edu within your first few days at ISU to schedule an appointment for immigration check-in.

Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors and their dependents must have health insurance, which covers them for sickness or accidents during the period when they are in J status.

Exchange visitors must present proof of insurance coverage when check-in into International Programs Office at Idaho State University.

Minimum coverage must provide:

  • Medical benefits ($100,000 per accident or illness),
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness,
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation to the home country ($50,000),
  • Repatriation of remains ($25,000)

Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

Some J-1 and J-2 exchange visitors are subject to the Two-Year Home Residence requirement, also known as the "Two-Year Rule" or "212(e)".

An exchange visitor might be subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement if an exchange program was funded by the United States Government, the J-1 government, or an international organization.

The J-1 visitor may also be subject to the requirement if the education, training, or skill the visitor is pursuing appears on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for the visitor's country.

Before changing visa status or applying for entry into the United States as an H-1B, TN, L, or permanent resident, J-1 scholars are often required by law to return to their home country for two years to use the skills and knowledge they have gained. Contact the International Programs Office to see if this requirement may apply to you.

The Two-Year Rule does NOT prohibit a visitor from returning to the United States as a tourist or F-1 student at any time.

Current J-1 Visiting Scholars

Maintaining J1 Status

  1. Keep your DS-2019 valid
    Your DS-2019 must remain valid during your stay, including all dates and financial information. Do not allow your DS-2019 to expire.
  1. Travel Signature
    You must have a valid J-1 visa and DS-2019 with a valid travel signature from a J-1 Advisor in International Programs Office if you want to travel internationally. You may obtain a travel signature by bringing your DS-2019 to the International Programs Office for travel endorsement.
  2. We have a three-day processing time for DS-2019 signatures.
  1. Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean
    If you visit Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean for fewer than 30 days, a valid J-1 or J-2 visa is not required for most individuals, as long as you have a valid I-94.
    • You should not surrender your I-94 card upon entry to these countries if you intend to visit for fewer than 30 days with an expired visa.
    • When using this option, please do NOT attempt to reapply for a visa while in Canada.
  1. Maintain Health Insurance
    J visa holders must maintain health insurance as required by U.S. State Department regulations during their entire stay in the U.S. Minimum health insurance requirements are as follows:
    • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of remains for $7,500
    • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to their home country for $10,000
    • A deductible is not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  1. Keep your local address up-to-date with the International Programs Office.
    You must notify the International Programs Office of address changes within ten days of the change by contacting your J-1 Scholar Advisor, Abdul Khalil Azizi, at 208-282-5460 or Khalilazizi@isu.edu.

  1. Follow employment restrictions
    J-1 scholars may NOT accept employment in the U.S. unless specifically authorized in writing. See your International Scholar J-1 advisor for all J-1 work authorizations.

  1. J-2 Family Member Work Authorizations
    Family members with J-2 status may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service to work in the U.S. after arrival. Please consult with your J-1 Scholar Advisor for more details.

Extending J-1 Status

J-1 status for research scholars and professors may be extended for up to 5 years (Short-Term Scholars are limited to 6 months.)

The forms below must be submitted by you and your ISU department to the International Programs Office. Scholars must show proof of meeting minimum funding requirements for the extended duration. The International Programs Office will then issue you a new DS-2019.

ISU Departments: To request an extension for a current international scholar, please download and complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor Extension Request Form


At the end of your stay at ISU, please have your department complete the HOST DEPARTMENT NOTIFICATION FORM. This form is required for us to update our records and your SEVIS record appropriately.

Scholars have a 30-day grace period from the end date of your DS-2019 to prepare for your departure.

If you end your program more than 30 days before the DS-2019 end date, you must inform the International Programs Office J-1 Scholar Advisor Abdul Khalil Azizi at Khalilazizi@isu.edu and prepare to depart the U.S.

Your DS-2019 is valid only while participating in your program, regardless of the end date.