facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

TN Visa Status

The TN program is the immigration component of The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which enables Mexican or Canadian citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities at a professional level" in certain occupations, for one or more specific employers (provided that each employer applies for a separate TN visa).

TN status may be granted for as long as the employment offer specifies, up to one year, and this status may be extended indefinitely in one-year increments.

The TN category is similar to the H-1B, except that it is also available to a non-academic professional at Idaho State University.

The following eligibility requirements have to be met:

  1. The profession has to be on the list of qualifying positions.
  2. The position requires the individual to have at least a baccalaureate degree or appropriate credentials demonstrating status as a professional.
  3. The individual possesses the requisite educational background and experience for that position.

The International Programs Office International Faculty and Scholar Advisor can assist Idaho State University departments and colleges in determining whether the TN visa is appropriate for the employee. Still, the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) decides on whether the individual qualifies for the TN classification.

The application procedure for TN status is not the same for Canadians and Mexicans.

Mexican nationals seeking TN status must comply with a procedure similar to the H-1B classification. The International Programs Office assists the departments with this process.

Canadian nationals may obtain both initial status and the extension through travel or an application to the USCIS filed by the International Programs Office.

For additional information regarding TN status, please contact the International Faculty and Scholar Advisor, Abdul Khalil Azizi, at khalilazizi@isu.edu and review the NAFTA handbook.

TD Dependents

A TN visa holder's spouse and unmarried children under 21 are eligible for TD status.

Individuals in TD status are not permitted to work, and if an individual in TD status is a Canadian citizen, they are exempt from the visa requirement.