Remove the plastic protective cover and turn on the spectrophotometer using the power switch located on the back of the machine, lower left side. The spectrophotometer will automatically perform some diagnostics and will need to warm up for 30 minutes before measurements can be made. Once it has warmed up, it should automatically be set to absorbance (A) mode. If it is not, press the A/T/C button to select absorbance (A).
- Measure your blank by adding a blank solution to the cuvette (or test tube). Wipe down the outside of the test tube with ethanol and a kimwipe to remove fingerprints.
- Insert your cuvette into the cell holder of the sample chamber. The cuvette should be sitting on the bottom of the cell.
- Close the sample chamber.
- Press the ABS button to set the blank to 0 concentration.
- Select the wavelength you will be measuring your solutions at by press the nm buttons.
- Measure your samples by inserting the cuvette into the cell holder. Remember to clean the outside of the cuvette before placing into the cell holder. Do not get fingerprints on the cuvette as it will disrupt the reading.
- Read your absorbance.
- Remove your sample and replace it with a new sample and record the absorbance.
At the end of the lab period (if there isn’t a lab immediately following), shut off the machine and replace the plastic cover.
If you receive an error message use the Operator's Manual for Genesys 20 Spectrophotometer.