Master of Secondary Education, MEd
Educate to Elevate. Educate to Empower. Educate to Inspire.
The Master of Education in Secondary Education will provide you with the tools to elevate your teaching career. Our dedicated professors will help you expand your understanding of teaching techniques and educational content. You will graduate prepared to innovate your teaching practice and help your students grow. Join us, and share your love for learning!
Master of Education in Secondary Education
The 30-credit (minimum} non-thesis master's degree in Secondary Education is a combination of pedagogy and content, designed for the Secondary school teacher. This degree will permit the practicing teacher, or certified teacher with past experience teaching, to acquire greater depth in STEM (or single subject mathematics, geology, physical science, or biology}, mathematics education, ESL/TESOL, foreign language, English/language arts, history, history/social science, instructional technology, or another Idaho SBOE-approved Secondary certification or endorsement area.
1. The advanced Secondary Education professional, through the core curriculum and other course work, is expected to meet the core standards for advanced professionals the CAEP standards for accreditation at the advanced level (see http://caepnet.org/standards/standards-advanced-programs).
2. The advanced Secondary Education professional is expected to meet Idaho Core Teacher Standards and National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Core Propositions.
3. The advanced Secondary Education professional is expected to extend her/his subject matter depth in STEM (or single subject, such as mathematics, geology, physical science, or biology), mathematics education, ESL/TESOL, foreign language, English/language arts, history/social science, or another Idaho SBOE-approved Secondary subject matter content certification or endorsement area.
4. The advanced Secondary Education professional is expected to utilize the knowledge of subject area concentration in specific applications and assessments within the educational methods curriculum.
The student must apply to and meet all criteria for admission to the ISU Graduate School. In addition, applicants for the Master of Education in Secondary Education must meet all college requirements for admission and retention. Those include previous teaching experience or current certification to teach in Idaho or another state.
- Graduation Requirements
- Admission Requirements, including previous teaching experience or current certification to teach
- Education Core (9 credits minimum)
- Education Pedagogy (6 credits minimum)
- Content Area – Subject(s) approved by advisor (12 credits; additional credit requirements for STEM)
- Capstone (3 credits)
Charter School Advanced Secondary Educator
Secondary School Capacity Building
Child Services Consultant
Private School Advanced Secondary Educator
Non-Profit Youth Agency
Secondary Education Policy Consultant
Juvenile System Consultant