facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Get Certified to Teach in Idaho

Educator Certification FAQs

How do I apply for my Educator Certification?
  • You will need to turn in to the State Department of Education:
    • Completed Idaho Educator Certification Application
    • Check for $75 made payable to Idaho Department of Education
    • Official transcripts from every school you have attended
    • Copies of your Praxis II scores
    • Institutional Recommendation Letter
When can I apply for my Educator Certification?
  • After graduation and successfully meeting all requirements for certification, including the Praxis II, you may apply for your Idaho Standard Instructional Certificate.
 Do I have to apply for certification right away?
  • Yes! Failure to apply in a timely manner may require you to meet current state standards. You may need to retake courses, take updated praxis exams or other items if the state requirements change. 
I’m moving out of state.  Do I have to apply for an Idaho Certificate?
  • Yes! It is easier to transfer your current Idaho certificate to your new state. Contact your new state’s department of education for the process.
  • If your new state requires any forms to be completed by ISU send the form to kentcenter@isu.edu along with your contact information.  
Do I need to do another background check and fingerprints?
  • No, the background check you completed for your student teaching is the same background check used for certification.  
The Idaho Department of Education website says that it takes 11-14 weeks for my application to be processed.  School starts next week! Help!
  • Submit your application as soon as you have gathered your materials to avoid excessive delays in processing your application. 
  • Work with your principal and keep them updated on your application process.
*Keep your license current. An expired license may require you to meet the most current requirements.  

The College of Education offers degrees and certification programs designed to meet the Idaho standards and requirements for initial certification of professional school personnel approved by the Idaho State Board of Education and the Idaho State Department of Education. 

Persons completing an initial certification program (a.k.a. Program Completers) are eligible for a recommendation from the College of Education for a standard instructional certificate.

Application for certification is separate from the application for graduation. The most current certification forms are available to download from the Idaho State Department of Education

The College of Education maintains a record of all individuals recommended for certification. The Dean and the faculty of the College of Education reserve the right to refuse to recommend a program completer for a standard teaching certificate, if such recommendation would appear to be contrary to or in violation of Sections 33-1202 and/or 33-1208, Idaho Code.

For more information, please contact the Kent Center at (208) 282-2783 or kentcenter@isu.edu.

The COE offers the Master of Arts in Teaching as an alternative route to certification through approved application packets and individualized Alternative Route plans. Alternative authorizations are initiated by the hiring school district. Contact the Idaho State Department of Education website and the COE Kent Center for Student Success for more information.

Idaho also permits eligible candidates to become certified teachers without following a standard teacher education program through Alternative Certification


Candidates who desire to pursue professional certification in a state other than Idaho are advised to consult with the certification department from the state in which they are seeking certification.

If you are planning on teaching outside of Idaho, you must process your initial Idaho certification packet.


Candidates for the Standard Instructional Certificate can also add endorsements to their certificate before or after graduation.

For administrator certificates, pupil personnel services certificates (such as school psychologist or school guidance counselor), and the Standard Instructional Certificate with the Hearing Impaired (K-12) endorsement, see the College of Education section of the Graduate School Catalog or pertinent sections of the undergraduate or graduate catalogs for programs offered by the Division of Health Sciences.

Candidates interested in becoming certified teachers of children who are deaf/hard of hearing in Idaho will need to earn a bachelor’s degree and have met the requirements for a Standard Instructional Certificate.

Idaho State University is authorized to offer the following content endorsements:


  • All-subjects K-8 (elementary) Art
  • Biology
  • Business education
  • Chemistry
  • Communication & rhetorical studies
  • Deaf/hard of hearing education
  • Early Childhood Blended B-Grade 3
  • English
  • English as a Second/New Language
  • Family & consumer sciences
  • French
  • Geology
  • German
  • Health education
  • History
  • Math
  • Music
  • Natural science 6-12
  • Physical education
  • Physics
  • Science middle level 5-9
  • Social studies middle level 5-9
  • Social studies 6-12*
  • Spanish
  • Special education K-12
  • Theatre

*Natural Science requires an additional endorsement in either biology, chemistry, geology or physics. Social Studies requires an additional endorsement in either political science or history


If you are not planning on entering the teaching profession right now, you still need to process your application after graduation*.
For candidates intending to delay the start of their teaching career or pursue non-teaching employment:

  1. Complete your Idaho Application for Certification
  2. Keep your certification current and review the requirements for the renewal of an Idaho Certificate.

*NOTE: In order to officially graduate from ISU as an Education major, you must complete ALL requirements for licensure (ISU policy). These requirements include passing all Praxis II tests. If you are unable to meet all licensure requirements at the time of your anticipated graduation from ISU, your only options are to delay graduation until you have met the requirements or change to a non-education major and meet the new major’s requirements.

Karen Ludwig headshot

Karen Ludwig

Advising Coordinator

(208) 282-2783