facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Undergraduate Transfer

You are an undergraduate transfer student if you have previously completed 14 or more credit hours at another university and intend to pursue an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.

If you have not previously attended and received grades at another university, or if you have less than 14 semester credit hours, please see the admission information for new undergraduate students.

Academic Admission Requirements

To be considered for admission to ISU, international students applying as undergraduate transfer students must meet the following academic requirements:

  • Have at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
  • Be in good academic standing at the last institution attended.

English Proficiency Admission Requirements

International students are required to show proof of English proficiency by achieving a minimum English proficiency score on one of the tests in the table below, or by completing level 112 at any ELS program.



Undergraduate Admission



  • iBT: 61
  • Paper: 500
  • Computer: 173
  • iBT: 80 (minimum score of 20 in all subscores)
  • Paper: 550
  • Computer: 213


5.5 overall score OR a minimum 5.0 in ALL subscores






English 18 or above



Reading Test 25 or above


 Exceptions to the the English proficiency testing requirement include:

  • students who are coming from one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales), Zambia.
  • students coming from countries where English is the official medium of instruction.
  • students transferring 14 or more credits from another college or university in the United States.

Students who qualify for one of the above exemptions need to submit documentation confirming English as the medium of instruction, or official transcripts from the U.S. college or university from which the student earned 14 or more transferable credits.

Students who do not meet minimum English proficiency requirements may apply for conditional admission, during which time they will need to be enrolled in an intensive English program, such as ISU’s IEI program, in preparation for full-time academic study at ISU.

Application Process


1) Apply for Undergraduate Admission

All prospective students must complete and submit the online application.

2) Pay the Application Fee

You can pay the $50 application fee online during the online application process.

If you are submitting a paper application, please include an international money order or bank draft payable in U.S. funds to Idaho State University. Do not send cash.

3) Submit your school transcripts and records

Transfer and second bachelor’s degree applicants must submit the following:

  • Official transcripts, mark sheets, and school records from every college or university attended
  • Applicants with less than 14 semester credits must also submit secondary school diploma and mark sheets secondary school mark sheets and diplomas.

All documents must be originals or copies certified by the school principal or controller of examinations and sealed in a school envelope. Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.

4) Submit Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation of college/university transcripts

All international post-secondary documents must go through an evaluation service approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). All evaluations must be sent directly to our office from the evaluation service in order to be considered official. We recommend the following services for evaluations:

Important: Please be sure to obtain a Course-by-Course evaluation.  Other types of evaluations will not be accepted.

5) Submit English proficiency scores

If your first language is not English, official English proficiency scores must be submitted directly to the International Programs Office from the testing center.

6) Submit proof of financial support

If you are currently on, or will be applying for, an F-1 or J-1 visa, the following will be required:

  • A signed Declaration of Financial Support Form from any sponsor providing financial support covering your first year tuition and living expenses. Applicants being sponsored by their government, embassy, or educational agency need only submit a financial guarantee OR letter of sponsorship from their relevant authority.
  • Bank documentation showing the minimum amount of funds as required on the Declaration of Financial Support above. The funds must be liquid. The documentation must be original (or certified copies of an original document) and must be dated within the past six months in order to be considered valid.

7) Submit a copy of the biographical page of your current passport

8) Complete the online Verification Form

9) Transferring from another U.S. School?

Students currently on an I-20 from another U.S. school will need to submit the following additional items as part of the SEVIS transfer process:

  • SEVIS Transfer Release Form (PDF) completed by your current international student advisor.
  • Copy of your current I-20 from your previous school
  • Copy of your current Visa (excluding students from Canada)
  • Copy of your current I-94 card