SEVIS Transfer Process
Transfer to ISU
In order for your SEVIS record to be transferred to ISU from another school you must:
- Have been admitted to ISU
- Have submitted to IPO copies of your passport, visa, current I-94 card and current I-20
- Have been in valid F-1 status as demonstrated on the SEVIS Transfer Release Form (PDF)
Contact an International Student Advisor at your previous school to complete the procedures for transferring your SEVIS record to ISU.
Once your SEVIS record has been released to ISU, you have completed the transfer process.
Requesting a Transfer I-20
If you need to travel outside the U.S. prior to your first semester at ISU, please contact us at email@example.com to request a transfer I-20 for travel. Otherwise, you may pick up your I-20 upon arrival at ISU.
Orientation and IPO Check-In
A mandatory orientation session is required for all new ISU international students. This includes transfer students. More information regarding orientation is found on our orientation page.
You are also required to check-in with IPO within 15 days of the start of the semester. Failure to complete your IPO check-in will place you in violation of your immigration status.
- On campus work: Once your I-20 has been transferred to ISU, you may begin on-campus work. You may only work on the campus which currently maintains your I-20.
- Old I-20's: Never throw away your old I-20s. They provide a record of your immigration history.
Transfer from ISU
In order for your SEVIS record to be transferred to another school from ISU, you must:
- Submit to IPO the Document Request Form
- Submit to IPO a copy of your acceptance letter to your new school
Your new school may have a Transfer Clearance Form that verifies your F-1 status. IPO will complete this form for you, but will not transfer your SEVIS Important Notes:
- Work Authorizations: All work authorization at ISU ends when your SEVIS record is transferred, including on-campus, OPT, CPT, and Economic Hardship.
- Travel between schools: If you need to travel outside the U.S. prior to beginning at your new school, you will need the I-20 from your new school. Once your SEVIS record is transferred, your I-20 from ISU is no longer valid.
- ISU I-20: Never throw away your ISU I-20 or any other I-20s. They provide a record of your immigration history.
Pocatello, Idaho, USA 83209-8038