STEM Diversity & Outreach
The STEM Diversity and Outreach office aims to increase the participation of students in Research who are underrepresented in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). We foster collaborative partnerships with industry stakeholders and national support groups and engage with the local and regional community in strategic initiatives that serve to benefit society.
To accomplish our goal - we mentor, advocate, and open doors for students to engage in hands-on research career opportunities. We provide support services to programs that cultivate environments where people are valued and recognized. Our focus is on High-Impact Practices in higher education that increase the attraction, retention, and graduation of historically underserved populations. The ROC staff is actively involved in the planning and offering undergraduate research conference opportunities for students to present their Research.
- Contact us for community outreach support to underrepresented communities.
- Contact us for technical support in understanding best practices and interventions that increase the participation of underrepresented students in STEM careers.
- Contact us for campus programs that celebrate and nurture the "whole self" in STEM.
Land Acknowledgement Statement
ISU EVENTS AND RESEARCH CONFERENCE OPPORTUNITIES
STATE RESEARCH CONFERENCES AND ISU EVENTS:
- Idaho Conference on Undergraduate Research, July 2022. ICUR
- Idaho INBRE 2022 - Biomedical Research Conference was held on August 1st at the University of Idaho Idaho INBRE
- GEM3 Undergraduate Research Internships Internships
- Idaho State University Indigenous People's Day is held in October and celebrates the original Peoples of Idaho Indigenous Peoples Day
- Idaho Commission On Hispanic Affairs Youth Leadership Summit is set for October 5th, 2022. The summit invites Native and Latino students to participate in various leadership and STEM workshops that inform students about transitioning from high school to college. For more information and to register students, please visit Youth Leadership Summit
- Idaho State University honors Dr. Martin Luther King by holding an annual celebration. Please see the Diversity Resources Center for more information. Diversity Resource Center
NATIONAL STEM CONFERENCE OPPORTUNITIES:
- AISES, Native Americans in Engineering and Science, October 6-8th, Palm Springs, CA AISES
- SACNAS, October 27 - 29, 2022, San Juan Puerto Rico - Virtual - SACNAS CONFERENCE
- ABRCMS (The annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students) November 9-12, Anaheim, CA ABRCM 2022
- SHPE, Hispanics in Engineering and Science, SHPE
SACNAS at Idaho State University is the first recognized student chapter in Idaho to receive active status and recognition; click to become a member.
The Native American Student Council at Idaho State University
Student Achievements and Leadership
SACNAS Student Officers 2020-2021, President - Joselynn Castillo center - from left, Berenice Sosa-Aispuro, Sebastian Madrigal, Kaycee Dixey
IN THE SPOTLIGHT:
BERNICE SOSA-AISPURO - MAKING HEADLINES
SIDNEY FELLOWS - BRINGING BACK TRADITIONAL NATIVE PLANTS
The Society for the Advancement of Hispanics and Native Americans in Science ISU Student Chapter Receives - the ISU Student Organization Leadership Award 2020 and Student Organization of the year! Contact SACNAS at ISU to join for opportunities in leadership and national networking!
Joselynn Castillo, SACNAS President 2020-2021
Milissa Rivas - has been selected for the Welcome Initiative Award student membership to the Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology, 2020-2021, UCLA Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology.
Our students are taking their acquired skills and impacting their communities and the world.
Adolfo Andazola-Carmona providing his expert leadership at Guerrero Surgery and Education Center
Idaho National Laboratory Applications for Summer Internships are now open.
INL internships are about gaining experience - visit their INTERNSHIPS page for details.
Contact Sonia Martinez at ISU with questions - at 208-282-1323.
Find Student Resources
Find Faculty Resources
Are you Looking for students to fill internships in STEM-related fields?
Contact Office for Diversity & Outreach - we connect students with industry and community partners!
Sonia Martinez, MPA
Office: STEM Diversity & Outreach Office
Located in the Business & Technology Center
1651 Alvin Ricken Dr., Room 107D
or by appointment on main campus