Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Final Grade Processing

  1. Please turn in grades for all courses (including independent study, thesis and dissertation credits.)
  2. End–of–semester processing will begin immediately after grading for the term close so it is very important that grades are submitted by the deadline. There could be many negative impacts on students with missing grades:
    • Official transcripts will not be issued to students with missing grades.
    • Summer Financial Aid can be impacted.
    • NCAA eligibility can be impacted.
    • Veterans benefits can be impacted.
  3. In order to submit a missing grade, a Change of Grade form is needed which requires the signatures of the instructor, Department Chair, Dean and, if it is a graduate level course, the Dean of the Graduate School. Please make every effort to submit grades on time to avoid this cumbersome process.
  4. If you need to grade a graduate project, thesis or dissertation course and the student has not completed the course work, the IP grade is available. Do not use the I grade.
  5. If you are grading a student who completed a graduate project, thesis, or dissertation this semester, simply choose S on the grade list. You will need to turn in a Change of Grade form for any courses that were issued grades of IP in previous semesters. If there are multiple semesters of grade changes for the same credit type (thesis, dissertation, etc.), they can all be submitted on one form; please clearly mark all of the semesters that apply.
  6. The ISU Incomplete Policy is laid out in the undergraduate catalog and graduate catalog. If the student meets the incomplete requirements, please fill out the Course Completion Contract and collect the student’s signature.  If you give an I grade, you will be required to set the grade that a student will receive if they do not complete the terms of the Incomplete Contract. Students who receive an Incomplete should NOT re–enroll in the course the next semester.
  7. We suggest that you confirm that you have access to the grading function in BengalWeb as soon as grading opens. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you do not have access to the courses you should be able to grade.

New Grading Options

  1. If a student has not attended the course or stopped attending, please give the student a grade of X, for Not Attending, and provide the last date of attendance. Both the F and X grade are failing grades. The F should be awarded to the student who completes the course but does not meet the course outcomes. The X grade should be awarded to the student who does not attend or stops attending prior to completing the coursework. If you choose to award an X grade, you will be required to enter the date the student stopped attending or the beginning of the term if the student never attended.
  2. If a student has never attended or has stopped attending a course that is graded S/U, please give the student a U grade and enter the last date of attendance.
  3. Providing the X grade and the date of last attendance allows the university to make good decisions regarding students who are not attending their classes and their financial aid.

For Help

  1. For instructions on how to enter final grades, please see BengalWeb Grading Instructions.
  2. Contact the IT Service Desk at x4357 or
  3. Contact the Office of the Registrar at x2661 or email