Contracts & Affiliation Agreements
Submitting a Contract or Affiliation Agreement
The Office of the General Counsel oversees the contract and affiliation agreement submission and approval process. Please read below on requirements and the contract process.
What is a Contract?
“Contract” means any agreement, electronic or physical, that requires University signature or that may impose obligations on the University. It is a legally binding agreement that defines and governs the rights and duties between its parties. Examples of contracts are listed below (but not limited to):
- Affiliation Agreements - student and resident clinical internships, rotations, externships, field experiences, and practicums
- Equipment Rentals and Leases
- Licensing Agreements
- MOU – Memorandums of Understanding
Before you submit a contract, please review this checklist to help you determine what documentation is required to submit your contract for review. Please review the checklist and address applicable issues.
Before You Submit a Contract
- Review the contract. The department is responsible for the review of a contract and ensuring that all business terms and conditions meet the needs of your area. If you have questions about a term, please note your concerns in the submission process.
- Do not seek signatures from any party without a legal review from the Office of the General Counsel
Documents Needed for Contract Submission
Please attach the contract or agreement. Also, include the following:
- Terms and Conditions
- All attachments or other referenced documents
- A copy of the original contract or agreement (for renewals and amendments) and all previous renewals and amendments
- When possible always upload documents in a Microsoft Word version
Submit a Contract
Processing Time: Due to a high volume of contracts, please allow at least 4-6 weeks for review and processing time on contracts or affiliation agreements.
These two areas on campus review all contracts on behalf of Idaho State University (ISU):
Research-Sponsored Programs and the Office of General Counsel.
Contracts that bring in money to ISU must go through Research-Sponsored Programs by submission into Cayuse. All other contracts must go through General Counsel by submission into Tiger Tracks (Submit a Contract button).
Records Retention and Contract Management
In an effort to empower individual departments, fully exectued documents should be both managed and stored on the departmental level.
The process of managing agreement, from the time of creation through exectution. This includes ensuring that business terms are being performed by the vendor.
Departments are required to maintain record of their contracts. The Office of the General Counsel suggests that these be stored in a box folder that is shared with multiple members of the departments staff.
If you need assistance with contracts, please feel free to ask either department at:
General Contracts Affiliation Agreements Research - Sponsored Programs Contracts
Office of General Counsel Office of General Counsel Sponsored Programs Support
Nick Tranmer Sandi Rich Pati Spotts
(208) 282-3022 (208) 282-2683 (208) 282-3478
firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org