Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Social Security

The local Social Security Administration (SSA) Office is located at:

861 Jefferson Ave, Suite B,
Pocatello, ID 83201

Their phone number is 800-772-1213.
Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

If you do not have transportation, you may take the city bus. Please see the Pocatello Transit website to obtain transit times.

Before Applying

Please note that your social security application cannot be processed until you have done the following:

  1. Been in the U.S. for at least 10 days.
  1. Obtained an on-campus job AND HAVE BEGUN WORKING.
  1. Completed the Social Security Form.

This must be completed and signed by your employer and an IPO advisor.

  1. Officially reported to ISU.

Your SEVIS record has to have been officially registered. In order for this to happen, you must have checked-in with the IPO office, registered for classes and paid your fees. We recommend waiting until the second week of classes to apply in order to allow time for the SEVIS system to update the Social Security system.

  1. Updated your U.S. physical address in BengalWeb.

Go to your BengalWeb portal, log in and add or update the "resides at" address type. Note that this is different than the "Mailing Address" type.


Once you have completed all of the above requirements that must be fulfilled before applying, you must visit the SSA Office in person to apply.

Be sure to take with you all of the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Print out of your I-94 number
    • this can be obtained by going to If you entered the U.S. by land, you may still have the paper I-94 card (little white card obtained upon entry).
  • Social Security Employer Letter (above) signed by your employer and an IPO Advisor
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Receipt of payment to ISU for full-time registration
  • Completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5). This form can also be obtained at the Social Security Administration Office.
    • For question #3 check "Legal Alien Allowed To Work"
    • For question #8 write "N/A" unless your mother has a US Social Security Card
    • For question #9 write "N/A" unless your father has a US Social Security Card
    • For question #17 check "SELF"

Important: The SSA will verify your status using the SEVIS system.

If you are not registered for classes and have not paid your fees in full, then your SEVIS record will not be registered and your Social Security application will be rejected.

Social Security Denial Letter

To obtain either a Taxpayer Identification Number or an Idaho Driver's License, you must obtain a Social Security Number. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number because you are not employed, then you must obtain a Denial Letter from the Social Security Office.

In order to obtain the denial letter, you must provide the following:

  1. Your valid passport
  2. I-94 card or printout of your I-94 number printable from
  3. Your valid I-20 or DS-2019
  4. Your receipt from the payment of your fees

You must then have a face-to-face interview at the Social Security Administration office.


The Social Security Office is located at 861 Jefferson Ave, Suite B.

Leaving from the Student Union Building bus stop (in front of the Bengal Theatre), take the "A" bus. The "A" bus comes by approximately every 23 minutes.