Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home


In the United States, accreditation assures students, families, and government entities that an institution provides a quality education.

The United States Department of Education provides oversight over the postsecondary accreditation system through its review of all federally-recognized accrediting agencies. The Department holds accrediting agencies accountable by ensuring that they enforce their accreditation standards effectively.

The accrediting organizations listed below are recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Recognition by CHEA affirms that the standards and processes of the accrediting organization are consistent with the academic quality, improvement and accountability expectations.

Regional Accrediting Agencies

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    The Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    Commission on Colleges (SACS)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-ACSCU)

Click here to find out if the institution you attended is accredited by one of the agencies listed above.

Idaho State University determines how courses will transfer at the undergraduate level by using the accrediting associations listed above's standards for evaluation and acceptance of college-level credit in our credit evaluation process.

If an institution you attended does not meet the standards outlined by these accrediting agencies you may ask for an academic review of the institution you attended by utilizing the undergraduate petition and exception process.

Still Have Questions?

Check out our FAQ page or contact the ISU Transfer Team at:

(208) 282-2661