Mathematics provides a powerful language for expressing and answering questions about the world around us. The evolution of communication and technology has made that language part of our daily lives.
Objective #3 of ISU's General Education requirements recognize the importance of mathematics in a university education. Upon completion of a course in this category, a student is able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Read, interpret, and communicate mathematical concepts.
- Represent and interpret information/data.
- Select, execute and explain appropriate strategies/procedures when solving mathematical problems.
- Apply quantitative reasoning to draw and support appropriate conclusions.
Courses that satisfy G.E. Objective #3 are:
MATH 1123 or 1123P, Mathematics in Modern Society, 3 cr.
MATH 1127, The Language of Mathematics, 3 cr.
MATH 1130, Finite Mathematics, 3 cr.
MATH 1143 or 1143P, College Algebra, 3 cr.
MATH 1147, Precalculus, 5 cr.
MATH 1153 or 1153P, Introduction to Statistics, 3 cr.
MATH 1160, Applied Calculus, 3 cr.
MATH 1170, Calculus I, 4 cr.
MATH 2256, Structure of Arithmetic for Elementary School Teachers, 3 cr.
MATH 2257, Structure of Geometry and Probability for Elementary School Teachers, 3 cr.
For more information on 1123P, 1143P and 1153P, please see: 'P' Course Information
The Department of Mathematics & Statistics offers the following undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Science MAP-Math-BS 2018-2019 , MAP-Math-BS 2019-2020 , MAP-Math-BS 2020-2021 , MAP-Math-BS 2021-2022
- Associate of Science MAP-Math-AS 2019-2020 , MAP-Math-AS 2020-2021 , MAP-Math-AS 2021-2022
- Bachelor of Science MAP-AppliedMath-BS 2020-2021 , MAP-AppliedMath-BS 2021-2022
- Bachelor of Science MAP-Stats-BS 2018-2019 , MAP-Stats-BS 2019-2020 , MAP-Stats-BS 2020-2021 , MAP-Stats-BS 2021-2022
Secondary Teacher Education (The Math Department has oversight of degree content)
- Teaching Major
- Teaching Minor
- Single-subject Teaching Major
*To see the program requirements for the Mathematics and Statistics undergraduate degrees, please visit: Program Requirements
*To see the undergraduate course descriptions, please visit: Mathematics and Statistics Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Advising information can be found at the following links:
- Advice for undergraduate Math majors
- Advice for undergraduate Statistics majors
- ISU Central Academic Advising
Financial support is available via competitively-awarded undergraduate scholarships, offered through the University Recognition Awards. See available scholarships offered through the Department.