Job Openings in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Department Chair and Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics (3582)
Idaho State University, established in 1901, is a Carnegie-classified doctoral research and teaching institution, with a culture built on trust, compassion, stability, and hope. ISU serves over 12,000 students in Pocatello, Meridian, Twin Falls, and Idaho Falls. Students and faculty at ISU are leading the way in cutting-edge research and innovative solutions. We are proud to offer exceptional academics nestled in the grand, natural beauty of the West. We invite you to apply to be a part of our University community!
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Idaho State University (ISU) is pleased to announce a search for a tenured associate or full professor to serve as Department Chair. Competitive applicants will hold a doctorate in mathematics, statistics, or a related field, and will possess an outstanding and productive record of scholarly research, teaching, and service. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Science and Engineering (CoSE), the chair is expected to have leadership skills that can inspire and unite departmental faculty, staff, and students. These skills include strategic plan formulation and implementation, effective interpersonal communication, thoughtful leadership of personnel, oversight of the department’s curriculum, and responsible management of departmental budgets. The new department chair will work within a culture of mutual trust, respect, accountability and collegiality, and will embrace ISU’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Department is on the threshold of significant change. The new department chair will have the opportunity to work with department faculty and the Dean to hire a number of new faculty members, and to chart the future of the department. The Dean envisions a modernized, student-centered department that works closely with other departments in CoSE and throughout ISU to educate students, collaborate on scholarly research projects, and seek extramural funding that supports innovative pedagogy. In addition to departmental degree programs, the department provides critical instruction for service courses in support of science and engineering programs and general education courses serving students from the broader university community.
Idaho State University is nestled among the mountains of Eastern Idaho. Pocatello is the last undiscovered college mountain town in the west, located within 2.5 hours of Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, and Salt Lake City. Exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities can be found within minutes of ISU’s Pocatello campus. Regional airports are located in Pocatello and nearby Idaho Falls.
The new department chair will cultivate a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to:
- Lead the department in formulating and implementing a strategic plan for strengthening departmental teaching and research, and enhancing interdisciplinary collaborations across campus;
- Oversee management of the Department;
- Lead initiatives for successful recruitment and retention of students;
- Promote and support professional development of faculty and staff, particularly in the areas of scholarly research and innovations in education;
- Facilitate a healthy environment for scholarly research in the Department;
- Lead the renewal of departmental curricula and teaching activities to reflect the use of best practices for curriculum and pedagogy;
- Represent the Department in interactions with other university units;
- Serve as an ambassador for the Department and ISU while participating in community engagement initiatives and in building relationships with regional partners;
- Oversee recruitment of faculty and staff;
- Maintain a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion that allows the department to better serve students and more
- Effectively engage with the broader community; and,
- Teach departmental courses and maintain a meaningful scholarly research program.
- Completion of an earned doctorate in mathematics, statistics, mathematics education or related field
- Substantive experience working in an academic environment that places value on teaching, research, and service contributions
- Significant administrative experience with evidence of effective leadership
- Experience collaborating across disciplines in teaching, service, or research
- Effective communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in supervision of personnel and management of budgets
- Experience in successfully managing change
- Experience with development of initiatives that support student-centered STEM education
- A record of extramural funding to support scholarly research or STEM education
- Experience successfully mentoring students
- Experience facilitating the professional development and growth of faculty and staff
You must submit the following to be fully considered:
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement describing interest and qualifications for the position (no more than 3 pages)
- A brief statement describing educational philosophy
- A brief description (2-3 pages) of research accomplishments or activities in support of research initiatives
- Names and current contact information of four (4) professional references able to comment on the candidate’s leadership experience (references will not be contacted without notification of the candidate)
This position will remain open until it is filled. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Benefits include comprehensive health, dental, and vision; life insurance; disability plan; employee assistance program (EAP); excellent retirement options and company contribution; and generous paid time off/sick leave accrual. All offers of employment are conditional pending the successful completion of a background investigation, provided by HireRight.
Posting No: req1430
Type: Working 11 months per year
Position: Faculty Tenure Track
For more information about other current job openings at Idaho State University, please visit: isu.edu/jobs