Sports Hall of Fame Awards
The Idaho State University Sports Hall of Fame recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to ISU varsity sports and, in doing so, have enhanced the image and reputation of Idaho State University.
Most Recent Recipients (2023)
Joe Mattie - Football (1969-1973)
Isaac Mitchell - Football (1999-2004)
Donell Morgan - Basketball (1993-1995)
Cassie Merkley - Track (2006-2010)
Anna Maria Hoffstetter - Soccer (2006-2009)
Richard Rogers - Football (1972-1975)
Jerry Miller, Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient
SHF Award History
The Sports Hall of Fame was established in the 1960's by former Athletic Director John Vesser. Originally housed in Reed Gym, the construction of the Minidome, now known as Holt Arena, meant a new home for Bengal Athletics and the Sports Hall of Fame Archives. In the transition, history was lost and the ISU Sports Hall of Fame was forgotten.
A decade later, former President of the Alumni Board of Directors, Bob Hilliard set a goal to resurrect the Sports Hall of Fame. With Dubby Holt as Chairman, guidelines were established and a committee consisting of past Sports Hall of Fame inductees was organized in 1977.
In 1994, the ISU Sports Hall of Fame found a new home. Visitors are invited to take a stroll through the archives now located inside the Sports & Orthopedic Center on the ISU campus. There, plaques, photos, and other memorabilia of each member are displayed. A second tribute to the distinguished athletes can be found in Holt Arena where a brass plate bearing the names of each member is placed under a statue representing all nine athletic areas.
Sports Hall of Fame Awards
Nominations for induction into the ISU Sports Hall of Fame are submitted in writing on the official ISU Sports Hall of Fame nomination form and shall include all personal data and information relevant to the candidate's qualifications. Nominations can be submitted by anyone and are due in the Office of Alumni Relations no later than June for awards given in the Spring of the following year.
Inductees are chosen by the 12 member Sports Hall of Fame Selection Committee. This committee is comprised of past Sports Hall of Fame Inductees.
- Candidates must have attended the Academy of Idaho, Idaho Technical Institute, University of Idaho Southern Branch, Idaho State College or Idaho State University for at least two years.
- Candidate must have excelled in one of the intercollegiate sports program.
- Candidate must have been out of school for at least 10 years.
- Special exceptions to this requirement may be granted for exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Committee, (i.e. for timing of the recognition for individual or ISU purposes, for international or worldwide acclaim, etc.)
Lifetime Achievement Award Qualifications:
The ISU Sports Hall of Fame Lifetime Achievement Award is a special recognition for those individuals whom the Committee, acting on behalf of all ISU Sports Hall of Fame inductees, deemed to have made a significant contribution, achievement, or have rendered outstanding service over their lifetime to ISU sports and athletes.
Lifetime Achievement recipients are not considered inductees into the ISU Sports Hall of Fame but are deserving of special tribute and preservation of their memory by the ISU Sports Hall of Fame inductees for their longtime and substantial contribution or service to ISU sports and athletes. To be considered for nomination a prospective candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be an individual who has continued over his/her lifetime to make lasting contributions to, and continues to be identified and associated with, ISU sports and athletes.
- Be an individual of integrity and good character that brings honor and distinction to ISU sports and athletes.
This award may include athletic directors, coaches, trainers, administrators, contributors, sportscasters, and others deserving of special recognition for exceptional and lasting achievement or service.
Sports Hall of Hall Ring Sales