facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Creating a New General Education Course

If you propose creating a new general education course or adding an existing course to the general education program, you must submit a separate General Education Course Proposal & Assessment Plan for each proposed new Gen Ed course to GERC for their consideration and approval. 

Instructions and the General Education Course Proposal & Assessment Plan Form(s) can be found on GERC's webpage:  Propose a new Gen Ed Course.

Changing an Existing Gen Ed Course

If you propose making any changes to an existing general education course, you must send your completed proposal and a written explanation of the proposed changes to the current GERC chair and to gercmail@isu.edu for review and impact response.

If the GERC chair determines the change(s) to be substantive, you will need to submit a new General Education Course Proposal & Assessment Plan to GERC.  You also may need to update the approved assessment plan.  Refer to the section below for details.

Changing an Approved Gen Ed Assessment Plan

Official versions of approved assessment plans will reside in the GERC online repository where they will be accessible for view by all ISU faculty and staff, and open to suggestions and comments by originating department chairs and their designees.  (Suggest/Comment access can be arranged by contacting gercmail@isu.edu.)

  • Small changes to specific instruments or processes within the spirit of the original plan do not require modification of the original plan or GERC approval.

  • Significant changes to the assessment schedule, the type of instruments employed, or the selection of learning outcomes addressed need to be reviewed by GERC.  To request this review, departments should use "Suggesting" mode to propose changes in the online document, and indicate on the annual reporting form that changes have been entered.  Notify gercmail@isu.edu and your GERC rep (see GERC Membership List) that the plan has been modified.

Process for Removing a Course from the General Education Program

Effective 10/11/2016, if a department wishes to propose removal of a course from the General Education program, the following applies:

  1. A course number change will be required by UCC.
  2. If approved, the proposal will take effect in the catalog year following that in which the proposal is processed.
  3. To initiate a UCC proposal, a proposal originator (PO) should complete an Online Proposal Request Form as directed on the UCC webpage.
    • A separate UCC catalog change proposal must be completed and submitted for each course to be removed from the General Education program (i.e., one proposal per course to be removed). Please do not combine with any other UCC proposal being developed or in process.
    • Be sure to solicit impact responses from every department or program that uses the course in their curriculum.

Current Undergraduate Catalog General Education Program Information