Department of Music
We offer a number of areas and ensembles for our students.
All prospective undergraduate students who desire to become music majors or minors must be accepted by the Music Department through a three-step entrance audition, after being accepted to the University.
To apply to the music program:
- Complete our online audition application form.
- We will then send a request to the person you specify in the application form (either an applied instrument/voice teacher or large ensemble director) for a letter of recommendation.
- We will contact you to schedule an audition time. Auditions typically begin at the end of February.
Please make sure to also apply to the university before applying to the music program. The application process for admission to Idaho State University is outlined online. You must be accepted to ISU before we can offer you placement or scholarship within the music program.
For more information on the audition process or if you have any questions, contact the music department at (208) 282-3636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition Information UPDATED
Due to the COVID19 pandemic, all auditions for Fall 2021 will be virtual. ALL STUDENTS INTERESTED IN MAJORING/MINORING IN MUSIC OR WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE SCHOLARSHIP MUST AUDITION. One audition for both. Scholarships are available for anyone participating in Music Department ensembles.
- STEP 1: Fill out the information on the "Online Application Audition Form" link above. (You can do this NOW)
- STEP 2: Create a video (or a few short videos) that show us your musical skills. Upload videos or share the URL. (Submit when you are ready) Max 15 minutes total.
- PRIORITY DATE: Our priority date has passed, but our audition window is STILL OPEN.
We will then send you an offer letter a few weeks after you submit your video. Remember, you must be accepted to ISU to receive a letter (apply at isu.edu/apply).
More information (including suggestions) about our auditions can be found in our "Departmental Handbook" (Right hand side of this page)
Students who wish to Major or Minor in music should complete all of the suggestions (except sight reading). Students who are auditioning for "scholarship only" may do the suggestions as well, or send a shorter video of yourself performing two contrasting works (technical/lyrical).
Music Major/Minor students will also be asked to complete a Piano Placement Exam (if you have private lesson experience in Piano) and a Theory Placement Exam. These will most likely occur in August, when you arrive on campus. Local students may also make an appointment to have these tests completed in the Summer.
QUESTIONS??? Feel free to contact Dr. Thomas Kloss: Klosthom@isu.edu OR your Instrument/Voice professor.