Office of Field Experience
The Idaho State University College of Education's Office of Field Experience supports teacher candidates before and during student teaching by providing the necessary information and guidance for the student teaching internship.
Student teaching is the culmination of your teacher education preparation. To be eligible for student teaching, you must:
- Be admitted into the teacher education program
- Meet all requirements of the program
Student Teaching Resources
Student Teaching Eligibility Checklist
Student teaching is the capstone of the teacher education program and occurs after all major course requirements have been met and all Praxis II and ICLA exams passed. During student teaching, teacher candidates steadily increase their classroom responsibilities and demonstrate competency in planning, assessment, instruction, and other professional tasks.
2 Semesters Before Student Teaching
- Register for Praxis II Exams
- Submit Fingerprint and Background Check Forms (Processing takes 6-8 weeks)
- Return submitted fingerprint and background check forms with a check made payable to: Idaho Department of Education for $28.25 no later than Friday of the 4th week of classes.
1 Semester (not including Summer) Before Student Teaching
Deadline: April 1 deadline for fall placement, October 1 deadline for spring placement
- DegreeWorks showing all coursework is completed or in progress with a grade of C or better
- All required Praxis II exams passed (Praxis II Cut Scores)
- All required ICLA exams passed (ICLA Testing Information)
- $50 Application fee paid (ISU TouchNet Service)
- Meet with the Field Experience Coordinator
Note: Completing the application does not guarantee a student teaching placement. Final approval for student teaching is contingent upon successful completion of all application materials, earning minimum grades in classes, and passing the required ICLA and Praxis II exams.