facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home


College Work-Study (CWS) is a type of aid which provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Idaho State University participates in both the Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Idaho Work-Study (SWS) programs.

To determine financial need, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The student is responsible for obtaining qualifying employment. Many job opportunities are listed on Handshake through the ISU Career Center and are usually available by mid-August.

Employment under CWS must be reasonably available. CWS is not available and cannot be used during the summer.

CWS is paid hourly based on hours worked and is not disbursed in a “lump sum.” Most students work 10 to 20 hours per week. Minimum wage in the state of Idaho is $7.25 per hour.

To apply for Work-Study: complete the FAFSA.

To qualify for Work-Study:

  • Demonstrate financial need (determined by your FAFSA)
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits).

Checking your Work-Study balances:

Students who have already applied for and received FWS and/or SWS can check their Work-Study balances on MyISU in the My Financial Aid card after award-year employment begins. This will display remaining Work-Study balance, placement, and supervisor contact information.

Loans, Work-Study Employment, or Scholarships are other types of aid.