facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Summer Financial Aid Information

Summer session financial aid is unique in awarding from Fall and Spring semesters.

Pell grants, other grants, and loan programs may be available on a very limited basis.

Students must submit a 2023-2024 FAFSA by June 30, 2024, to be considered for Summer 2024 federal financial aid.

Pell grant awards will be made to eligible students who either have remaining eligibility from the 2023-2024 award year, or who meet the requirements for Year Round Pell. In order to qualify for Year Round Pell, the student must meet all Pell grant eligibility requirements for Summer 2024 and must be enrolled at least half-time.

Summer direct loans are limited to a student's remaining eligibility from the 2023-2024 academic year. If a student used their full annual eligibility for student loans in Fall 2023 and Spring 2024, then the student will not have any remaining eligibility for Summer 2024.

The Work Study program is not available during Summer session.

How to Apply for Summer Aid

To apply for Summer 2024 financial aid, you must:

  1. Be admitted to ISU as a degree-seeking student in an aid-eligible program.
  2. Complete a 2023-2024 FAFSA (using 2021 tax/income information) and include ISU's School Code (001620).
    • Note: the deadline for filing 2023-2024 FAFSA on the Web is June 30, 2024.
  3. Register for Summer classes in your MyISU before submitting your Summer Supplement Form.
  4. Print and submit a 2024 Summer Supplement to the ISU Financial Aid Office. Available March 1, 2024.



Enrollment Status

Enrollment status determination for Summer remains the same as for the Fall and Spring semesters:

  • Undergraduate and Applied Technology Students:
    • Half-time enrollment is 6-8 credit hours
    • ¾-time enrollment is 9-11 credit hours
    • Full-time enrollment is 12 or more credit hours
  • Graduate Students:
    • Half-time enrollment is 5-6 graduate credit hours
    • ¾-time enrollment is 7-8 graduate credit hours
    • Full-time enrollment is 9 or more graduate credit hours

Note: Any classes added after the "census date" will not count toward determining your Pell Grant and SEOG eligibility. The census date for summer session is the last day to add/drop in the early four week session or the date of disbursement for students who are awarded after that date.

Checking Your Summer Aid Status

You can check your 2023-2024 Summer financial aid status on the "My Financial Aid" card in your MyISU (see Financial Aid Requirements, Satisfactory Academic Progress, and My Financial Aid).

Processing of Summer aid begins after Spring mid-term grades are posted.

Students with Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) issues may experience a delay in receiving funds. The previous term's grades must be checked once grade posting is completed by the Registrar's Office. Any SAP issues must be resolved before federal aid can be released.

You have been Awarded - What's next?

When you have registered for Summer semester classes and Student Financial Services has billed your student account in MyISU, you will see the amount due on the "My Student Finances" card under "My Account" for the semester.

Once you have been awarded and you have accepted and authorized your financial aid in MyISU, your financial aid will be credited to your student account to pay institutional and non-institutional University charges, and any excess will be sent to you through an electronic refund (direct deposit to your bank account) or mailed to you in a change check no earlier than 5 days prior to your earliest Summer start date. Holds will prevent financial aid funds from being transmitted.

Contact Student Financial Services at (208) 282-3000 if you have questions concerning:

  • your fees
  • your student account
  • change checks or eRefund (direct deposit)

Be aware that a balance may be remaining for which the student is responsible.

Check your "My Financial Aid" card in MyISU and click on the appropriate semester under "My Account" to view balances and fees.

See if my financial aid has been applied to my fees

If your financial aid is not ready or does not completely cover your fees owed and you need more time to pay:

Online payment options and fee payment assistance are available through Student Financial Services at (208) 282-3000.

Fee Payment Information is available online and payments can be made online, via mail or in person.

Learn how to:

Borrower Based Academic Year (BBAY) Loan

Students in the Physician Assistant program, Pharmacy students in the required summer session for P-3 (rotations), and Occupational/Physical Therapy students are automatically awarded and not required to file the Summer Supplement form for Borrower Based Academic Year (BBAY) loan eligibility.

In addition, on a case by case basis, other students with unusual circumstances can ask for BBAY award consideration. It will be up to the financial aid administrator's professional judgment to grant this eligibility.

BBAY is available for students who are enrolled in higher cost programs that require year-round enrollment of at least half-time each semester.

Note: We cannot consider BBAY for a student who only has one semester remaining until graduation.