Mission: To give transfer students the tools needed to thrive as science majors and in multidisplinary science careers or graduate school
Undergraduate Research Spotlight: Select an image below to read more about this research
SPARK a FIRE Scholarship
Scholarship award up to $10,000 per year
Application for Fall 2024 will open on January 8, 2024.
Review of applications for Fall 2024 will begin April 1, 2024.
Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until funds are exhausted.
be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
be enrolled full-time in a qualified* degree-seeking program
- be enrolling in ISU as a transfer student and expect to complete their degree in 2-3 years
have a minimum transfer GPA of 2.5
demonstrate financial need
*Qualified Bachelor of Science degree programs: Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Chemistry
(NOTE: Students intending to enter health professional programs such as pharmacy, medical, or dental school are not eligible for this scholarship)
You will need the following to apply:
- Email address of one current or former college science instructor who has agreed to provide a letter of recommendation for your application. Be sure to communicate with your letter writer directly about the context of the scholarship application.
- The letter should provide insight into your academic potential and motivation specifically related to 1) completing a rigorous biology, microbiology, biochemistry, or chemistry degree program, and 2) participating in a cohort-based program with transfer student peers in these majors.
- Personal Essay (typed, 500-word maximum)
- The essay should describe 1) what your interest and motivations are to study biology, microbiology, biochemistry, or chemistry and 2) ultimately why you want to pursue a career or graduate school in this area. Include a statement of your interest in and commitment to this cohort-based transfer student success program, including your commitment to participate in program activities and contribute to this transfer student community.
- Estimate your Science GPA & Science credits
- Provide the total number of college science course credits completed and currently enrolled in
- Average your GPA for your completed college science courses
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- If you need assistance, please contact the ISU Financial Aid Office at (208) 282-2756.
- Scholarship award up to $10,000 per year for 2-3 years
- Faculty and peer mentorships
- Connections to student communities and clubs
- Fully Immersive Research Exploration course
- Leadership and career development opportunities
- Research experiences
Visit these campus sites to learn more about our programs, opportunities to increase college access, and other student support services specific to community college transfer students.