Biology Student Spotlight
Fall 2023 Biology Student Spotlight
The Fall 2023 Biology Student Spotlight Award goes to Trystan Gray!
As a graduate of Pocatello High School and a current ISU senior, Trystan Gray is very involved with his local community. He has worked for two years as a researcher in Dr. Lane’s lab where he has been instrumental in training undergraduate and graduate students while having an amazing work ethic. He volunteers at the Pocatello Free Clinic and has recently been accepted to the University of New Mexico School of Medicine with the intention of helping underserved communities. Trystan has been President of the ISU Microbiology Club for two years and will graduate Magna Cum Laude in Spring of 2024 with a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology. Trystan has been on the ISU Dean’s List four times and has twice been the recipient of the Amy’s Kitchen scholarship.
Idaho LAUNCH grants provide graduating high school seniors with an opportunity to have up to 80% of their tuition and fees covered, up to $8,000, for programs leading to in-demand careers, including Biology and Microbiology. Additionally, students who receive Idaho LAUNCH grants have the option to combine them with other scholarships offered by Idaho State University.
Department of Biological Sciences
Additional Biological Sciences Information for COVID-19
- Biology faculty advises students, so please continue to reach out to your advisors just as before.
- Our Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Dan Giltz, can also answer advising questions. You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please see our Student Resources page.
- Please reach out to your Professors with course-specific questions
- Please reach out to your advisor (see above) or Dan Giltz (email@example.com) with degree or advising questions
- If students wish to change their major or add a minor, they can email Dan Giltz with the major and/or concentration they would like to change to or minor they want to add. Please include your Bengal number in the email.
Monday - Friday 7am-5pm
Our Vision: To inspire our students to wonder about the living world and strive to better understand it.
Our Mission: We are a community that advances understanding of the biological sciences through active discovery, learning and engagement with society.
- Diversity: We reflect the aspirations, interests, and identities of our communities
- Community: A culture of mutual trust, respect, accountability, and camaraderie
- Passion: An enthusiastic dedication to our work
- Empowerment: Helping individuals realize their talents and fulfill their potential
- Excellence: An international reputation for innovative scholarship with regional impacts
- Sincerity: Inspire confidence and reliability in ourselves and others
To learn more about our department and our future plans, please read the BioSci Strategic Plan.