facebook pixel Skip to Main Content
Idaho State University home

Mid-Term - Semester Checks

Contact Every Teacher, In Every Class, Every Semester

Talk with your instructors - call them, stop in, or make an appointment during their office hours. Be prepared to ask specific questions:

  • What is my mid-term grade?
  • Am I missing assignments; will late assignments be accepted?
  • How can I study better for this particular class?

Use this time to ask specific course-related questions and to get to know your professor better.

Calculate Your Grade Point Average (GPA)

Maintaining a Healthy GPA is key to staying on track to graduation. The GPA calculator can help to determine your semester GPA. Meet with an advisor if you need help.

Consider your midterm grades carefully:

  • Is a different approach to study habits necessary?
  • Is there another action that will help to improve grades for the remainder of the semester?

Good academic standing requires a minimum of a 2.00 CUMULATIVE GPA.

Students on probation must earn a minimum of a 2.00 SEMESTER GPA to avoid FURTHER credit limitations or dismissal.

Should you withdraw?

See Your Advisor

If you are considering a withdrawal, discuss with your advisor the benefits and consequences of withdrawing. First, review the Academic Calendar for withdrawal deadlines. You may withdraw from a full semester course through the 10th week of the semester. Consider the following:

  • Are you failing a course? With effort, could you improve your grade?
  • Is an F preferable to a W?
  • What effect will withdrawing have on your financial aid, scholarships, military benefits, etc.?
  • Are you eligible to add second-eight week courses to meet course credit obligations if you withdraw?
  • Should you reduce the number of hours you are working at a job instead of withdrawing?
  • Can you reduce outside-of-school and extra-curricular activities to give you needed time to improve grades?
  • Have you been “skipping” too many classes?

Understand the impact of a withdrawal will have on your academic goals.

Get a Tutor

Contact the Student Success Center (SSC) or College of Technology (COT) Resource Center to request tutorial help for courses.

  • For math, utilize the Math Lab
  • For English, utilize the Writing Center

Both are located in Rendezvous, Room 323.

Read and Understand Financial Aid Policy

Educate yourself on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid grants, loans, and work study funding. Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to review your situation and options.