Sharing Our Successes
Our Idaho State Access and Opportunity Unit successfully applied for continuation of two important TRIO Educational Talent Search (ETS) grants totaling $4.265 million dollars. These grants will enable our TRIO ETS team to continue to serve 1,600 8th-12th grade students in South Central and Eastern Idaho over the next five years.
TRIO Educational Talent Search is two of eight TRIO grants funded at Idaho State University which provide a pipeline of services starting in eighth grade through graduate school enrollment. Each of these grants have to be rewritten every five years for service delivery in an extremely competitive national application process. The two ISU TRIO ETS grants were set to expire August 31, 2021 and both grant applications submitted received a perfect score to extend service delivery to August 2026.
The goal of Talent Search is to increase the number of youth from limited income and first generation (meaning neither parent has a 4-year bachelor's degree) backgrounds who complete high school and enroll in and complete their postsecondary education. TRIO ETS programs provide academic, career, and financial advising to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and then matriculate to and complete postsecondary education. TRIO ETS also publicizes the availability of financial aid and assists participants with the postsecondary application process. Services provided by the TRIO ETS include
- Academic, financial, career, or personal advising
- Career exploration and aptitude assessment
- Tutorial services
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Mentoring programs
- Special activities for eighth graders
- Workshops for the families of participants
Our congratulations to Guillermo Raya, TRIO ETS Interim Director, the TRIO ETS staff, and Sari Byerly, Assistant Vice President for Access and Outreach Programs.