"Becoming a Political Science major at Idaho State University was the best thing I could have done for my undergraduate career."
Meghan Herrman, '13
Explore Our Programs
We offer a comprehensive range of programs, including minors and majors leading to Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences degrees, as well as advanced degrees such as the Master of Arts, Master of Public Administration, and Doctor of Arts. Our diverse academic offerings provide students with the opportunity to explore various areas of political science, including political theory, comparative politics, international relations, and government studies.
Meet Our Faculty
Our dedicated team of faculty members, who are nationally and internationally recognized experts in their fields, ensures a comprehensive and cutting-edge education. Our faculty's passion for teaching and research inspires students to critically analyze issues and actively participate in shaping the political landscape.
- Synchronous online learning opportunities
- Completely online synchronous option for MPA (Master of Public Administration)
- Specialization in local, small government
- Specialization in international and comparative politics
- Specialization in US politics
- Focus on public law and preparation for law school
- Emphasis on public administration and policy
- Engage in research opportunities with faculty
- Internship opportunities in the community
Success and Recognition
- Graduates regularly admitted to law schools and graduate programs
- The only Doctor of Arts (DA) in political science (teaching doctorate) in the world
- 60-year history of distinguished alumni and faculty who have shaped the political landscape of Idaho as public servants
- Strong network of connections within the political science field
- Alumni understand the programs and how their degree has benefited them
- Opportunities to connect with alumni
- City governments and state governments
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Federal government agencies
- ISU (Idaho State University)
- Non-profit organizations
- Four-year colleges and universities
- Community colleges
Vibrant Student Community and Engaged Learning
With a student body of over 130 majors, minors, and graduate students, our department thrives on intellectual diversity and vibrant academic discourse. To further enhance the student experience, we support and foster various student organizations, including the Pi Sigma Alpha Honors Society, Law Club, and Political Science Club. These organizations provide valuable networking opportunities, extracurricular activities, and avenues for intellectual growth. Our faculty's passion for teaching and research inspires students to critically analyze critical issues and actively participate in shaping the political landscape.
Opportunities in Local, National, and International Careers
Located in the welcoming and vibrant city of Pocatello, Idaho, our department benefits from its historical significance as a railroad and transportation hub. Today, Pocatello offers a thriving community with a low cost of living and a high quality of life. The city's strategic location places it in close proximity to major urban centers such as Salt Lake City, West Yellowstone, and Boise, providing access to a wealth of cultural, recreational, and professional opportunities. Students can engage in internships, community involvement, and experiential learning, further enriching their education and preparing for successful careers in the field of political science.
We invite prospective students, current students, alumni, and friends of the department to reach out to us or visit us in person. Engage in stimulating political discussions, explore our diverse range of programs, and connect with our passionate faculty, alumni, and students. Together, let us foster a deeper understanding of politics and public affairs as we strive to make a positive impact in our local communities and beyond.