Human Resource Development
Human resource development is a unique field because every organization needs employees with experience in supporting and developing people, whether that is in an organizational development consultant role or leadership role.
The Master of Science in Human Resource Development (HRD) program prepares students for leadership-oriented careers in a wide variety of industries including corporations, nonprofit groups, financial institutions, government, healthcare, K-16 education and beyond. You can graduate from our fully-online, 30-credit program at your own pace while gaining valuable expertise in developing, improving, and managing a professional workforce. Our dedicated faculty are here to support, inspire, and empower you throughout your education and beyond.
- Anywhere and at Anytime:
- The fully online, asynchronous program enrolls any student with a bachelor degree nationwide and is tailored to the working professional.
- Classes are offered with no set time and students can be enrolled part-time or full-time and can start in the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
- All HRD students can learn more about qualifying for scholarships and in-state tuition.
- Real-World and Experiential:
- The program places a heavy focus on enhancing students’ people development skills including coaching, training and development, strategic planning, leadership abilities, and performance improvement that will equip them for careers in a wide variety of industries.
- The project-based coursework and research component address workplace problems with innovative, evidence-based HRD solutions.
- Skills Gained:
- Building Effective and Engaged Teams
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- High Impact Leadership
- Improving Individual and Group Performance
- Strategic Planning
- Supervising and Managing People
- Talent Development
The Idaho State Graduate School admission process is initiated as follows:
- The application for admissions is available online.
- Applicants applying as degree-seeking students must request that each institution at which they have taken any post-secondary work submit one official transcript directly to the Graduate School. Idaho State University undergraduate transcripts are available to the Graduate School and need not be forwarded by the applicant. Non-degree seeking applicants must provide a transcript (official or copy) showing proof of degree.
- Applicants must include a $60 nonrefundable processing fee with each application form. The files of students who do not pay the required application fee will not be processed for admission. Request a Fee Waiver to apply for free!
- Some programs require additional information (e.g., letters of recommendation); please contact the specific department and review individual departmental sections of this catalog for additional requirements.
- Applicants must clearly indicate the desired graduate program on the application form, or if a non-degree-seeking student, the college and department in which the student intends to take courses.
- GRE/GMAT/MAT may be required for degree-seeking applicants at the discretion of the department.
- Additional requirements for degree-seeking last semester seniors, and international students are described under those headings on the following pages.
The method of calculating an Admission GPA is based on the last 60+/- semester undergraduate credits (90+/- quarter credits), using complete semesters (quarters). The M.S. HRD Program will waive the GRE for admissions with students meeting the 3.0 GPA.
Additional Application Requirements to the M.S. HRD Program include:
- Students must submit an M.S. HRD Statement of Interest (PDF) form
- Students must submit a current resume or vita with their application
Students may include up to 3 recommenders on their application, but this is not required.
ISU Course Catalog
Graduates with a master’s degree in human resource development work in all career fields and could be qualified for the following types of positions:
- Training and Development Director
- Supervisor or Manager
- Career and Technical Educator
- Higher Education or K-12 Professional
- Organizational Leader or Executive
- Trainer and Learning Specialist
- Professional Consultant
- Organizational Development Professional
- Community Relations Coordinator or Manager
- Organizational Effectiveness Professional
- Retail Management
Because human resource development skills are highly desirable in today’s job market, the job outlook includes:
- Near 100% job placement rate
- Average salary (according to the government’s Occupational Outlook Handbook) is $61,570 fpr a training and development specialist and $120,130 for a training and development manager.
- Alumni jobs include:
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Idaho Central Credit Union
- State of Idaho
- Boise State University
- College of Western Idaho
- Business Owner/Entrepreneur
- ITAFOS Inc.
- Minidoka Hospital
- Burley Fire Department
- US Air Force
- St. Luke’s Hospital
- Idaho Peace Officer Standards and Training
- and more!