ISU Children's Chorus
We are very excited to share information with you about the ISU Children’s Chorus!
The Children’s Chorus is always looking for strong young singers who need an outlet to develop their musical talents and experience the joy of singing and performing in a choir. Parents interested in finding out more about our organization should take a look at the information posted here to see if this choir might be a good fit for your child. For more detailed information about the choir, please e-mail Sarah Davids at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ISU Children’s Chorus is a program that will help your child grow musically in many ways such as basic music theory foundations, rhythm recognition and function, expression and movement, and especially singing, which includes voice technique and the value of performance itself!
The chorus is directed by Sarah Davids. Accompanist for the choir is Julie Taylor.
The Idaho State University Children’s Chorus is located in Pocatello, Idaho and is sponsored by the ISU Music Department. The choir has been a strong community gem since 1987.
Thank you for your interest in the ISU Children's Chorus! We are excited about the potential of having your child in our choir! We've listed general choir information, as well as criteria below and would appreciate if you would read the information first to make sure this is a good fit for your child. Then, after reading the information, please e-mail Sarah Davids at email@example.com to set up an audition time or to get more detailed information. Thank you again for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
- The choir is sponsored by the Idaho State University Music Department.
- It is a one of a kind choir with a history of quality choral and vocal training since 1987!
- Children entering the 3rd through 8th grade next Fall may audition now and will join the chorus for the Fall semester in September.
- Auditions are typically held in late May and early June for the next school year. If you miss those auditions, an audition can be scheduled for August.
- Rehearsals coincide with ISU’s semester schedule and take place in the Choir Room in the Fine Arts Building on the ISU campus.
- Rehearsals will be held once a week for 1 ½ hours typically right after school.
- Tuition is due the first rehearsal of each semester.
- Each student is required to purchase a uniform.
- There is a small registration fee due upon acceptance.
- The chorus is directed by Sarah Davids. Sarah earned her degree in Music Education from Idaho State University in 2004 and has been teaching music in the public schools and privately since that time. She has been directing the ISU Children’s Chorus since 2009.
Answers to questions for those interested in setting up an audition time:
- Students who audition should love to sing and be able to match pitch on a consistent basis.
- This choir is for girls, and boys with unchanged voices.
- Rehearsals run for one and a half hours. There are extended rehearsals of 2 hours just prior to a final concert season. If your child cannot focus through that length of time, consider waiting another year before auditioning.
- Students auditioning should prepare and memorize a song to be sung with accompaniment. Digital accompaniment is fine or you may provide your own accompanist.
- Mrs. Davids will also have the student sing 2 vocal exercises as well as sight read a simple line of music.
- Audition blocks are 15 minutes.
- Auditions are held in the Choir Room, Room 110, in the Fine Arts Building on the ISU campus.
- Practicing is a must! Students who are accepted into the choir will be required to practice at home each week.
- Students in the choir are expected to attend all rehearsals and all performances.
The ISU Children's Chorus was founded in 1987 by Kay Paulson. The purpose of the group was and still is to introduce young singers to the art of choral singing with an emphasis on music education and quality choral literature.
The past choral directors for the chorus are listed in chronological order:
Mary Ann Moser