Fried Rice with Microgreens
4-5 cups cooked and chilled brown rice
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 large carrots, peeled and cubed small
1 medium onion, chopped small
1 small red pepper, chopped (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 cup frozen peas
3-4 lightly beaten eggs
1 cup pea or other microgreens, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4-1/3 cup soy sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
4 teaspoons oyster sauce
salt and pepper
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan. When it has melted, add the onion and stir until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the carrot (and bell pepper if using) and cook until slightly tender.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, not brown. (1-2 minutes)
- Slightly turn the heat up a notch and add the brown rice and frozen peas. Cook and stir the mixture until the rice and peas are hot. (3-4 minutes)
- Push all of the ingredients to one side of the pan and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the empty side. Once the butter has melted, add the lightly beaten eggs. Let the eggs cook for a minute or two, then scramble them. Once the eggs are fully cooked, mix in with the rice.
- Add the green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. Cook a few more minutes until the mixture is hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add microgreens. Serve immediately.
You can personalize this and change up the vegetables with green beans or mushrooms. Add leftover meat from the night before right before you add the eggs. Fried rice is a great way to stretch your ingredients and reuse leftover food in a different meal.