Strategic Plan Beginning 2016
Note: References to ISU Core Themes have been placed in parentheses following each Objective.
*Indicates data will be collected only at the college level.
GOAL ONE: TEACHING
The College faculty provides opportunities for students to engage in learning through quality and innovative pedagogies in diverse settings, including traditional classroom settings, individual instruction, online courses, and relevant career training.
Objective 1.1: Maintain and enhance high quality faculty and high quality faculty instruction (Learning and Discovery)
- Indicator 1: *Amount of funds available for faculty development, including sabbaticals
- Indicator 2: *Amount of funds available for recruitment of new faculty, including startup packages
- Indicator 3: Number of online courses certified through Quality Matters or equivalent online certification programs
- Indicator 4: Percentage of classrooms with updated technology
- Indicator 5: Percentage of faculty receiving satisfactory teaching evaluations
- Work to enhance resources for faculty development, faculty recruitment, and technology; Promote certification of online courses through Quality Matters; increase teaching evaluation responses and improve quality of teaching evaluations, sponsor and promote pedagogical training workshops and pedagogical peer mentoring.
Objective 1.2: Nurture graduate study in the College (Learning and Discovery; Access and Opportunity)
- Indicator 1: Number of graduate students enrolled
- Indicator 2: Number of graduate assistantships awarded
- Indicator 3: GPA and GRE scores for applicant pool of incoming graduate students
- Indicator 4: Number of graduate student alumni placed in professional programs or higher graduate study
Action Strategy: Work to enhance resources for more GTAs, RAs and fellowships; continue expanding 3+2 options and seek similar opportunities with other institutions, track graduate student placements, increase quality of applicant pool as measured by incoming GPA and GRE scores.
Objective 1.3: Enhance student opportunities to be involved in research and creative activities (Learning and Discovery; Access and Opportunity)
- Indicator: Number of undergraduate and graduate students partnering with faculty for research and creative activities (measured in student authored articles, co-authored articles, presentations, posters, performances, etc.)
Action Strategy: Encourage utilization of CPI funds and develop other funds to support student travel, research and creativity activities.
Objective 1.4: Encourage interdisciplinary linkages and enable the sharing of resources across programs (Learning and Discovery)
- Indicator 1: Number of faculty with joint appointments
- Indicator 2: Number of faculty with interdisciplinary teaching assignments or cross-listed courses
- Indicator 3: Number of interdisciplinary research partnerships
Action Strategy: Encourage discussion and promotion of Areas of Excellence and other interdisciplinary arrangements. Recognize and reward faculty for interdisciplinary and innovative teaching and research.
Objective 1.5: Develop and continue internships and externships using connections with alumni base and community members (Learning and Discovery, Access and Opportunity; Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Number of students with internships and externships
Action Strategy: Encourage utilization of CPI funds; Build alumni and community connections to improve learning opportunities for students.
Objective 1.6: Maintain and develop undergraduate training in core skills of critical thinking (Learning and Discovery)
- Indicator: Percentage of courses with direct assessment in critical thinking
Action Strategy: Offer a variety of courses to improve the critical thinking skills of students
GOAL TWO: RESEARCH AND CREATIVE ACTIVITIES
The College faculty engages in research and creative activities that enhance knowledge and awareness regarding human problems and potential in regional and global contexts.
Objective 2.1: Support continuing faculty development in research and creative activities (Learning and Discovery)
- Indicator 1: Number of quality faculty publications and creative activities
- Indicator 2: Amount of grants funds generated from grant submissions
- Indicator 3: *Amount of funds available for faculty research projects and creative activities
- Indicator 4: Number of faculty course releases for scholarly projects
- Indicator 5: Percentage of faculty workload devoted to scholarly activities
- Indicator 6: *Amount of funds available for faculty travel
Action Strategy: Work to enhance resources for faculty research development, course releases, and faculty travel
Objective 2.2: Enhance the current collaborative culture of research and creative activities across the College and the University (Learning and Discovery; Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Number of activities that involve faculty in multiple disciplines (e.g., Humanities Café, Science Café, research symposiums, joint funded research like EPSCOR)
Action Strategy: Promote interdisciplinary events and products
Objective 2.3: Enhance the visibility of the College in research and creative activities, and accentuate the importance of faculty activity in research and creative activities (Learning and Discovery)
- Indicator 1: Amount of publicity for faculty research and creative activities (e.g., College newsletter, Facebook)
- Indicator 2: Faculty recognition and awards
- Indicator 3: Number of faculty with online research profiles (e.g., Academia.edu, Research Gate, Linkedin)
Action Strategy: Promote faculty success in research and creative activities; Pursue hiring a director for marketing and recruitment to enhance the visibility of faculty teaching, research, and creative activities
GOAL THREE: PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
The College faculty utilize knowledge and skills to serve the University, community, region, nation, global community, and their discipline.
Objective 3.1: Maintain and further develop a commitment to university, college, department, and community service (Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Percentage of faculty workload devoted to service activities
Action Strategy: Encourage and reward faculty service at all levels
Objective 3.2: Develop faculty leadership in the College
- Indicator 1: Number of faculty who serve as chair of a committee, council, program, or department
- Indicator 2: Number of faculty serving in a college-wide elected position (e.g., Faculty Senate, Executive Committee)
- Indicator 3: Number of faculty taking leadership training seminars
Action Strategy: Encourage and support faculty to participate in leadership training
Objective 3.3: Continue to deliver faculty professional services to the community and beyond (Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Number of faculty engaged in community presentations and similar events
Action Strategy: Encourage, recognize, and reward faculty engaging in community service
Objective 3.4: Continue to deliver faculty service and leadership within their academic disciplines (Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator 1: Number of faculty in significant leadership positions within a professional association in their discipline
- Indicator 2: Number of faculty serving on editorial boards, or as a peer reviewer or adjudicator
Action Strategy: Encourage and reward faculty to serve in leadership roles in their discipline
GOAL FOUR: IDENTITY AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
Consistent with the core theme of Idaho State University, the College promotes community engagement with its activities to increase visibility and viability.
Objective 4.1: Engage in effective fundraising at the College level (Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Amount of funds raised
Action Strategy: Pursue opportunities for fundraising events, such as the New Year’s Eve Gala
Objective 4.2: Continue and further develop effective student recruitment and retention efforts (Access and Opportunity)
- Indicator 1: Percentage increase in student credit hours
- Indicator 2: *Number of faculty visits to high schools and their communities as part of Liberal Arts High
Action Strategy: Pursue hiring a permanent director for marketing and recruitment; continue to enhance student advising
Objective 4.3: Continue the commitment to the cultural, social, and economic health of the community, region, and state (Community Engagement and Impact)
- Indicator: Number of public events sponsored by the College and its departments
Action Strategy: Encourage and support public events within the College; Pursue hiring a permanent director for marketing and recruitment