Admission to the BASW Program
Admission to the Social Work Program
Application for admission to the Social Work Program is required of all students desiring to progress toward a social work major. Students may apply to the major at the completion of the sophomore year and after completing or with current enrollment in required prerequisite goal areas and courses. Students accepted into the Social Work program will be notified prior to Fall/Spring pre-registration.
Eligibility Requirements for Application
This program requires a minimum completion of 58 credit hours (including current in-progress hours) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application (including the semester prior to application). This includes completion of (or with current enrollment in): ENGL 1102, BIOL 1100, PSYC 1101, SOC 1101, SOC 2248, SOWK 1101, and SOWK 2272 with a minimum grade of “C-” in each course.
Applicants Must Complete the Following:
- BASW Application (when signing the application you must configure your digital ID; click create a new digital ID and follow the instructions.)
- Application Essay (1200-1600 words) (based on the following criteria):
- The student’s commitment to social work professional ethics and values.
- The student’s fit with the ISU social work program, generalist goals and objectives the student’s recognition, insight, and resolution of personal issues which may impact professional performance.
- The student's potential to develop skills of professional written communication.
- Pay Application Fee ($30) and submit the receipt
- Degree Works Transcript (PDF)
- Background Check (CastleBranch Confirmation package code ID40 or current DHW Background Check)
Submit all materials in one email to email@example.com. The subject line should be “Last name, First name – BASW Application Materials”
The above admission materials must be completed and submitted to the Social Work Program prior to February 15.
The Social Work Program does not grant credit for previous life or work experience.
All social work majors are required to meet the above standards before they may enroll in upper division social work courses (those numbered 3000 and above). Pre-social work students enrolled in required upper division courses without admission to the major will be withdrawn until major admission requirements have been met.
Following acceptance into the Social Work Major, the student must maintain a 2.5 GPA and abide by the policies and procedures outlined in the Social Work Student Handbook.
Students accepted into the Social Work program will be notified prior to Fall/Spring pre-registration (For the exact date consult your current class schedule).
If you have any questions regarding applications,
please contact the social work program at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 282-3377