Wesley Usyak, CPhT, M.Ed
Program Coordinator/Instructor Pharmacy Technology Program
Professional Work Experience
- Pharmacy Technician- 17 years
- Certified Pharmacy Technician- 14 years
- Field Experience- 8 years
- Pharmacy Technician Instructor/Program Director- 10 years
- Licensed/Registered Pharmacy Technician in Illinois, Minnesota, and now Idaho
- Certified from the National Pharmacy Technician Association in Intravenous, Chemotherapy and Extemporaneous Compounding of Medications
- Teaching and Instructing for the last 10 years graduating roughly 300 Pharmacy Technicians!
One of my favorite professional experiences…
During my professional career, one of the most rewarding things was becoming an instructor. I worked for two different pharmacies during my professional experience. Each pharmacy had taught me the valuable skills needed in being a pharmacy technician.
In 2007, I made a decision to leave my current role as a certified pharmacy technician and discovered an opportunity to start teaching at Job Corps. Job Corps was a vocational institution for disadvantaged youth between the ages of 16-24. Individuals were given the opportunity to earn a GED/vocational trade. I was nervous about teaching students and my first 6 months were the hardest. Although, I remembered my two previous managers in the back of my mind saying “Any new journey will have some bumps in the road. It is finding a way around the bumps and learning the value from the bumps as well.” I have taken that advice throughout my teaching career. It has helped me become a better instructor and allows me to see the value in everything I do as teacher and/or program director. I enjoy preparing someone for a career field that they can have for the rest of their lives.