Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing
Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing technicians repair damaged vehicle bodies and body parts from complete body off-frame repair to the smallest door dent in the body and then refinish the color to make it look new again.
We examine and determine the type and extent of damage, then teach the best way to repair that damage. We teach how to replace and repair all welded, bolted and adhesive style panels, grilles bumpers and all plastic parts. We replace glass and remove exterior trim and moldings. We teach MIG and MAG welding, resistance spot welding and the safety and use of all welding equipment. Frames and unit-body vehicles are measured and straightened using the Car-O-Liner Mark V Bench Rack System and Car-O-Tronic measuring system. We teach dent repair and the proper use of body fillers as well as electrical diagnosis for power window locks and lighting.
Refinishing starts by feather-edging of paint and then priming with a good corrosion and rust inhibiting material; filling of micro low areas; blocking, masking, sealing and then top-coating with a quality, single-stage or using a two-stage base coat paint followed by a high gloss clear coat. The ultimate finish is a tri-coat, pearl type paint that is very popular in this day of high-tech products. We mix our own paint colors and teach the application of the new Water base basecoat systems.
Auto Collision Repair & Refinishing is active in the student club SKILLS USA and southeast Idaho's largest car show Chrome in the Dome.
Graduates Employed or Continuing Education Last Year
Idaho Median Income
National Median Income
- Program accepts students in August and January
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Program admits 20 students each year
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certified
Certificates & Degrees
- Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing Associate of Applied Science (2 years)
- Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing Advanced Technical Certificate (2 years)
- Course Sequence Advanced Technical Certificate: ACRR
- Automotive Collision Repair Intermediate Technical Certificate (1.5 years)
- Automotive Refinishing Intermediate Technical Certificate (1.5 years)
- Course Sequence Intermediate Technical Certificate: Automotive Refinishing
- Bachelor of Applied Science (4+ years)
- Auto body repair shops
- Motor vehicle manufacturers
- Motor vehicle dealers
- Marine boat manufacturers and repairers
- Insurance claims adjuster
- Heavy truck and equipment repair
Minimum Test Scores
|New SAT||English: 360||Math: 360|
|Old SAT||English: 360||Math: 320|
|ACT||English: 14||Math: 14|
|COMPASS||Writing: 55||Pre-Algebra: 38|