Veteran To Nurse Program
About The Program
- The Veteran to Nurse program cohort option is an extension of the already-existing Practical Nursing program within the College of Technology. This program recognizes and awards credit for previous healthcare knowledge and experience gained by military veterans, and offers a veteran-friendly cohort-based bridge curriculum that will accelerate a veteran’s progress to a nursing credential.
- Following a comprehensive assessment and advising process, veterans will be placed into variable credit courses. These courses will augment the veterans’ healthcare training and experience in five areas of nursing practice. After completing the program, veterans will receive an ATC (Advanced Technical Certificate) in Practical Nursing and be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN exam.
- The initial development of the Veteran to Nurse cohort option will be led by the Idaho State University College of Technology with funding provided through a three year grant from the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration, under (TAACCCT) in conjunction with North Idaho College.
- The Vet to Nurse cohort option will include on-line learning and face-to-face lab and clinical experiences. Once the cohort option is developed and running smoothly, it will become part of the new distributive, hybrid model of PTE instruction in Idaho, and available to any post-secondary institution within the state, with online lectures emanating from one location, but being available to students state-wide. The lab and clinical portions of the course will be managed locally by each respective institution.
Practical Nursing - Veteran Advanced Technical Certificate (1.5 years)
- Prior Military Health Care Service - Current Health Care Provider CPR card (AHA or Red Cross only).
- Prerequisites courses or their equivalents must be completed prior to the start of the program.
Career Ladder Possibilities
- Must be a U.S. Military Veteran with medic or corpsmen training and experience.
- Experience will be assessed on an individual basis.
This workforce solution was funded $6,438,050 (100% of its total cost), from a grant awarded under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training Grants, as implemented by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. (#TC-26479- 14-60-A-16). The solution was created by the grantee and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information linked on sites including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability or ownership.
Idaho State University is an Equal Opportunity institution Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Programs Related to Nursing
Office: College of Technology Student Services
Veteran To Nurse Faculty
Veterans Student Service Center
Office: Student Union 315