Misty Hymas MSN, RN
Director of Nursing Programs at College of Technology
Professional Work Experience
- Licensed Practical Nurse, Bear Lake Memorial Hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility- Montpelier, Idaho
- Licensed Practical Nurse, Caribou Memorial Hospital- Soda Springs, Idaho
- Registered Nurse, Bear Lake Memorial Hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility- Montpelier, Idaho
- Past instructor for Certified Nursing Assistant, Assistance with Medications, and CPR
- Instructor for 7 years, at Bear Lake Memorial Hospital, for the LPN outreach program. Graduated 25 students, whom all successfully passed NCLEX boards on first attempt. Being very instrumental in bringing the program back to this small rural hospital has been a huge success for “growing their own”.
- Minimum Data Set RAC-CT certified for 10 years.
One of My Favorite Professional Experiences
This is super hard for me. It is hard to pick one of my favorite experiences professionally when I have seen the miracle of life as a new baby is born or watching a heart attack survivor hug his loved ones after a successful resuscitation. All nurses could name many emotional experiences, such as seeing an elderly couple holding hands walking down the hall together. Or the past director of nursing, that has now entered the nursing home as a patient, tell you that you are a complete idiot for doing her bed bath different from her days on the floor then becoming great friends with her. But, I would have to say there has been nothing better than watching my two daughters enter into the nursing profession and being one of their instructors. I got to watch them grow as they gained knowledge. I got to see the success as they received their nursing pins, and knew truly how hard they both had worked to get there. My favorite professional experience happens over and over every year as I watch the students I taught walk up on stage to receive their nursing pin. I get to help teach compassion and caring future nurses, what could be better than that!
Teresa Scherer MS, RN
Veteran to Nurse Instructor
Professional Work Experience
- Registered Nurse for 25 years
- Nursing Instructor at College of Technology for 3 years
- NICU flight Nurse at Portneuf Medical Center for 5 years
- Emergency Room Nurse for 8 years at Porteuf Medical Center and Power County Hospital
- Home Health and Hospice nurse for 5 years with Health Department.
One of Your Favorite Professional Experiences –
One of my favorite experiences is when my Mother-in-law broke her hip and a former student took care of her in the emergency room. Then two of my former students cared for her on the total joint floor. All three of these students provided wonderful care and knowing that I had a hand in teaching them is an amazing feeling. I enjoy watching students grow and change into caring and professional nurses.
My goal as an instructor is to encourage active learning with my students. Helping them to become partners in the learning process. Seeing students become excited about the material they are learning makes me excited. I look forward to being a part of your learning process.
Office: College of Technology Student Services
Veteran To Nurse Faculty
Veterans Student Service Center
Office: Student Union 315