Bulk Mailing Services
A Bulk Mailing is a special type of mailing which may qualify for special discounts on postage. Specific regulations set in place by the United States Postal Service must be met for a mailing to be considered a Bulk Mailing. If these regulations are not followed, the mailing will be rejected.
Unapproved or incorrect use of Bulk Mailing or the University’s Non-Profit permit can jeopardize our ability to take advantage of these special rates.
- Non-profit and Standard class mail qualifies at the least expensive letter rates at up to 6” vertical x 11” horizontal dimensions. Magazines and larger flat mailers also qualify for Non-profit rates.
- No tape, staples, or small hand tabs on folded self-mailers.
- Allow at least 4” horizontal x 2” vertical of clear space for the address to be printed on the mail piece.
- It is advisable, though not required, to leave the bottom 5/8 inch of any mail piece clear of printing. The Post Office often uses this space for a bar code label.
- Samples of permit imprints for First Class Presort, Non-profit, and Standard mail can be obtained from the Mail Center.
To qualify for a “First-Class Presort" class bulk mailing, you must have a minimum of 500 pieces. All mail pieces must be the same weight. All pieces must be sent within the U.S. (no international) and the ISU Mail Center must process the mailing.
Standard Class Non-Profit
Standard Class and Non-Profit
To qualify for a “Standard" class or a "Non-Profit" class bulk mailing, you must have a minimum of 200 pieces. All mail pieces must be identical material and weight. All pieces must be sent within the U.S. and items may not be individualized (including hand addressing items).
Non-Profit/Bulk Mail Services
We are able to address, fold, insert, seal, tab, match envelopes to contents, and organize mailings for surveys. We fold, insert and seal #10 envelopes up to 9 x 12 envelopes with up to six inserts. We can also work with other formats, even if they are not bulk mail. Addressing services, even those that are not intended to be sent at special rates, are available. Contact the ISU Mail Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (208) 282-3685 during normal business hours.
We have two main campus distributions, the 350 Throw and the News and Notes Throw. Additionally, we can do more focused lists based on departments that you wish to target. These distributions are only available to campus entities. The minimum number of pieces can be found below:
350 Throw: 350 pieces
News and Notes Throw: 1,800 pieces
Campus distributions do not need to be individually addressed as they are intended to be mass distributions.
Pricing for Services
|Folding (Machine)||$.05 per item|
|Inserting (By Hand)||$.05 per item|
|Addressing (Machine)||$.05 per item|
|Addressing (By Hand)||$.10 per item|
|Sealing (Machine)||$.02 per item|
|Sealing (By Hand)||$.05 per item|
|Tabbing||$.03 per tab used|
|Off-Site Permit Use||Call 208-282-3685 for details|
|Rush Processing Fee||$50 + $.01 per item|