Skip to main content

Janet C. Anderson Gender Resource Center

(208) 282-2805

Rendezvous 235, Stop 8141

Idaho State University

Pocatello, ID 83209-8141


Janet C. Anderson Library
Rendezvous 201

Janet C. Anderson Gender Resource Center

About the Anderson Center

Janet C. Anderson:

The Janet C. Anderson Gender Resource Center was named after a popular Dean of Student Affairs. She was accorded this honor shortly before her retirement in 1998, at the request of ISU student leaders, who had appropriated student fees for the center's inception. The center was originally called the Janet C. Anderson Resource Center in 1998, then changed to the Janet C. Anderson Men and Women's Center in 1999, and finally to the Janet C. Anderson Gender Resource Center (GRC) in 2002.

Mission:
The GRC focus is to provide education and programs to students, staff and faculty and to provide a space to explore the ways gender and sexuality impact our lives and our interactions with others and the world we live in.

Services:
The GRC strives to develop a supportive and inclusive community that understands the intersections of gender and sexuality with race, ethnicity, class, ability, age, culture, nationality, and immigration status. We promote overcoming suppression of others through education and affirming and honoring people’s identities and life styles. The programming that the GRC offers is to expand knowledge on gender and sexuality and promote healthy relationships and build a strong community of individuals who care and support each other with compassion. We invite you to attend GRC events, including our annual Positive Body Image Symposium held in spring semester and our on-going campus wide trainings for Green Dot Bystander Intervention.

The Positive Body Image Symposium is a two day event held in spring semester.  The symposium features renowned researchers and lectures with expertise in different types of body image related topics.  

The Green Dot Bystander Intervention Program is a national program that promotes leaders in communities like Idaho State University to become involved in creating a culture that does not tolerate violence of any kind. The GRC has certified trainers that work with students, faculty, and staff and train them in "Live the Green Dot." Green Dot focuses on strategies to be active bystanders, with bystander safety being paramount, to do something rather than nothing. Statistics show that when an act of violence occurs, 60% of the time there are bystanders nearby that can intervene but usually do nothing. Green Dot research shows that 20% of leaders trained in a Green Dot can influence the remaining 80% in a community to change the culture and to not accept power based personal violence of any kind: bullying, inappropriate comments, dating violence, stalking, etc.!

Janet C. Anderson was liked by students because she was approachable and always made them feel accepted and important. The center hopes to continue that legacy by creating a space to educate the ISU community to be open to ideas and accepting of each other and our diversity.

IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY

921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209

Discover opportunity at Idaho State University