ISU offers a Speech-Language Pathology Pre-Professional Program (post-baccalaureate) for students with a BA, BS, or higher degree in fields unrelated to Communication Sciences and Disorders, or for those students whose bachelor's degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders is 10 years or older. If you're admitted into the Master's Program, your Communication Sciences & Disorders coursework should not be older than 10 years from the start date of your program of study. Enrolling in the Pre-Professional Program will not guarantee you a seat in the graduate program.
The Pre-Professional Program consists of undergraduate courses required for graduate-level coursework in Speech-Language Pathology, where an Academic Certificate is earned upon completion of the coursework. The curriculum is rich in audiological coursework, typical speech and language development and disorders, and includes clinical courses designed to prepare students to work with both children and adults in graduate training. The Academic Certificate provides evidence of completion of pre-leveling coursework for admission to graduate school and/or licensure requirements. The program is available online and on both the Pocatello and Meridian campuses.
Program Requirements for the Pre-Professional Academic Certificate in Pre-Speech-Language Pathology or Pre-Audiology
A department application is required for the Online Pre-Professional Program or to attend the Meridian Campus. An application for the Pocatello campus is not required. The online and Meridian campus applications are different. Please follow the instructions and complete the appropriate program application. There is a priority application date of March 15 of the year in which you would like to enroll (classes begin in late August), but we will also accept late applications. Please contact our office if you are applying after March 15 to determine if applications are still being accepted. See contact information below.
The Pre-Professional Certificate courses are undergraduate courses, but for financial aid purposes, the courses are considered post-baccalaureate courses. Financial aid is available, if you qualify, through the financial aid department. If applying for financial aid, be sure to note on the financial aid application that this is a post-baccalaureate program and is required for entrance into a graduate program. If you have questions, please contact Financial Aid at 208-282-2756 or by email at email@example.com. See Program Costs for detailed tuition information.
Pre-professional program and undergraduate courses fee: $180 per credit hour (does not include tuition)
Questions regarding the Pre-Professional Academic Certificate Programs:
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Pre-Professional Academic Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders should be able to:
- Understand the basic processes and influences related to human communication including developmental, biological, neurological, acoustic, psychological and cultural conditions.
- Explain the basic foundational aspects of typical and disordered communication including areas of prevention, evaluation, intervention and treatment.
- Demonstrate the emergence of effective written, oral, and critical thinking skills related to topics in communication sciences and disorders.
- Have completed the necessary coursework to prepare them to apply for admission to graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology.
Pre-Professional Certificate Program Application Instructions
- Complete application, pay application fee, and submit all official college/university transcripts. Under ‘Enrollment Info-Academic Program’, select Comm Sciences/Disorders (Pre-Professional Certificate), under ‘Student Type’ select Post Bacc, under ‘Concentration’ select Pre-Speech or Pre-Audiology.
- Send all college transcripts to the undergrad office at ISU. Transcripts must be official and mailed directly from your institution to ISU.
Idaho State University, Admissions
921 So. 8th Ave.
Mail Stop 8270
Pocatello, ID 83209-8270
- Download, print, and complete the Pre-Professional Certificate Program Application.
- Attach a copy (please do not send official copies) of your college degree-bearing transcript. We will accept an internet copy if it shows when your degree was conferred.
- Scan and email application and degree-bearing transcript to:
- Online Pre-Professional Program: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or mail application and degree-bearing transcript to: ISU Meridian - CSD, Attn: Donna Parker, 1311 E. Central Dr., Meridian, ID 83642
- Meridian Campus Pre-Professional Program: email@example.com (preferred) or mail application and degree-bearing transcript to: ISU Meridian - CSD, Attn: Hannah Akina, 1311 E. Central Dr., Meridian, ID 83642