Energy Systems Electrical Engineering Technology
Energy Systems Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) prepares students to pursue a career in the installation, operation, adjustment, routine maintenance, inspection, test, and repair of power generation equipment. Graduates work in all fields of electrical generation with companies who design, build, operate, and maintain electrical generation systems. These generators use fossil and nuclear fuels, hydropower, wind, or other forms of energy to produce electrical power. Electrical Engineering technicians work with generators, large electrical motors, protective relaying and other high voltage/high current electrical equipment, the interconnection wiring and control circuits, and PLC's.
About the Occupation
EET job duties include: designing, building, installing, and troubleshooting motor controls; writing programs and developing applications for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's); installing and repairing electrical distribution circuits; maintaining operating efficiency of distribution panels, switches, switchboards, controllers, voltage regulators, current, and voltage transformers; maintaining operating efficiency of electric motors; repairing electrical equipment; installing and maintaining storage batteries and uninterruptible power supplies; inspecting, maintaining, testing, and repairing electric power equipment; interpreting electrical sketches, diagrams, and blueprints; and connecting electric power machinery and electric power equipment.
Graduates Employed or Continuing Education Last Year
Idaho Median Income
National Median Income
- Program accepts students in August and January
- Typical classroom hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Program admits 10 students in a cohort
- Physical demands for this program may include lifting, standing, bending, and close vision
Energy Systems Electrical Engineering Technology Associate of Applied Science (2 years)
- Course Sequence Associate of Applied Science Degree: Energy Systems Electrical Engineering Technology
Energy Systems Technology Intermediate Technical Certificate (1 year)
- Course Sequence Intermediate Technical Certificate: Energy Systems Technology
- Gainful Employment
Bachelor of Applied Science (4+ years)
Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering (2 +2 years)
- Power generation plants that use coal, gas, hydro, nuclear, concentrated solar, and wind
- Levels of of employment include: technician, journeyman, group leader, group supervisor
- Electric load dispatch centers and substations
Women considering this or another Energy Systems program, there are scholarships and special opportunities just for you. Visit the POWER Careers page for more information.
Minimum Test Scores
|New SAT||English: 450||Math: 500|
|Old SAT||English: 480||Math: 460|
|ACT||English: 18||Math: 19|
|COMPASS||Writing: 68||Algebra: 45|