End-Of-Semester Tips to Help Faculty with Student Athletes
April 25, 2022
Thank you for all of your hard work with our student athletes this semester. I wanted to reach out as we get closer to finals week to remind you that I can provide support if you are having any academic issues with student athletes in your courses. I also have a few informational items below that can help if you have conversations with student athletes as we get to the end to the semester:
- Student-athletes should not get any special privileges, but they should receive the same opportunities other enrolled students receive.
- Student athletes should never ask for grade changes or special consideration because they are an athlete. Of course, talking about and receiving grade changes is sometimes necessary, but a grade change can only occur if that same opportunity is available to other class members.
- There are several athletic academic advisors who work with our athletes and can also be a great resource. These advisors include:
- Brianne Beard: soccer, volleyball, softball, men's & women's tennis, and golf.
- Niki Cook: men's & women's basketball, and track and field/cross country.
- Laureen Orozco: Director for Student-Athlete Academic Services, interim football advisor.
I know all of you do an excellent job of emphasizing academics with our athletes and I'm very thankful. For additional information, please visit: www.isu.edu/far I hope you have a great end to the semester. Please let me know if I can support you in any way.
Karen Hartman ISU's NCAA Faculty Athletic Representative Associate Professor Department of Communication, Media & Persuasion firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 282-3233